Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit utilization scoring

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

credit utilization scoring

In terms of my revolving accounts, I have a credit limit of $3500 total. $2500 for a store, and $1000 personal line of credit from my bank. 

I had $1159 in use at the store, and $400 in use with the bank. I have paid off all but $100 at the store, and paid off the $400 with bank completely. 

When I was recently at $1559 of $3500 used, or 44%, my TU (my lowest score) was 559. My CR recently updated showing the $100 remaining at the store, but the $400 with the bank still has not hit yet. I recieved a score boost to 563 (4pts) by dropping to 14%. 

My question is, will I get a bigger boost going from 44% to 14% or 14% to 4%? Another 4 point boost doesn't seem like that much for paying off esentially all debt. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: credit utilization scoring

Nothing else changed on your report except the one account being paid down significantly?

I recommend you bring 2 of your 3 accounts to a 0 balance....you will get a score boost from having only 1 account report a balance. You should get a boost going from 14 to 4 percent util as well. I would expect more than 4 points. I suspect something else on your report changed to negatively impact the gains you would have expected from going from 44 to 14 util.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, nothing else changed negatively. If by negatively you mean a late payment or something. The only other thing that happened was a collection was reported as paid. In fact, on my TU report, I had the following situation happen last month:

I was at $1159/$2500 at store used, and $300/$1000 at bank used. I got a GW removal of a late on an account (the only late on that account), and used another $100 at the bank. So a late removal and $300 went to $400, and i saw a point drop. 

Other than that, I've been watching it closely. Only thing was the CA, and the 44% to 14%, and it was only 4pts. 

Thanks for the info. 

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Kepler check and see if the paid collection changed the date next to the account.....if they updated the date to reflect now that could be what hurt your score increase.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.