cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

discharged student loan, new car loan, new credit card...what effect?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

discharged student loan, new car loan, new credit card...what effect?

My 9 month old student loan ($6500) was discharged due to disability today but still hasn't fallen off my report.  I obtained a $20K car loan in May and a new BCE card in June.  Neither have reported-only the hard pulls have.  My scores are exactly 700 at the moment.  I have no credit plans until next year.  What changes can I expect?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: discharged student loan, new car loan, new credit card...what effect?

It really depends on the rest of your profile and what is on it. New accounts usually will drop your score in the beginning. The discharge can also gain or lose you some points because of the credit mix of having an installment loan.

The BCE will cause a drop, but if you had other cards and higher utilization, the addition of this card's limit could drop your overall utilization enough that it could offset the score drop, or even gain you some points.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.