cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

does financing a new iphone 6 affect credit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

does financing a new iphone 6 affect credit?

I used the ATT upgrade to finance an iphone 6 plus...2 year financing for an $850 phone...chaned the rate plan...i've been doing business with ATT for eons and shopped around before doing this...never financed a phone before, no credit was pulled (maybe a soft pull if anything)...is this considered debt like a credit card?  Effect on score?

Mine is at 681 according to fico discover, 695 equifax, 675 experien (may AMEX pull)

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: does financing a new iphone 6 affect credit?

@Anonymous wrote:

I used the ATT upgrade to finance an iphone 6 plus...2 year financing for an $850 phone...chaned the rate plan...i've been doing business with ATT for eons and shopped around before doing this...never financed a phone before, no credit was pulled (maybe a soft pull if anything)...is this considered debt like a credit card?  Effect on score?

Mine is at 681 according to fico discover, 695 equifax, 675 experien (may AMEX pull)

No effect.  Doesn't report.  Under new scoring models being considered payments on utilities and cell phones may be considered but they don't for now.

Message 2 of 5
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

No effect.  Doesn't report.  Under new scoring models being considered payments on utilities and cell phones may be considered but they don't for now.

Correct. I also financed my 6 through ATT, and no actual credit filing was made. They do SP your file to make sure you aren't in real credit trouble, but it's a light check. They know people will keep their phone active, and if they don't pay, ATT can brick it for you, no extra charge Smiley Happy

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 5
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

+1, doesn't report as loan or debt. Asked about this before opting to finance, didn't want a HP for the luxury of paying over time.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

i wish phone companies would report. that'd be sweet. they hard pull your credit for service now!
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.