Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dumb question about utilization

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

dumb question about utilization

This may be a dumb question, but.... At what point does your utilization start lowering your score. I had 2% and am about to go to about 17%.  I have never been over 4% so I honestly don't know how my score will be affected.  Thank you for your help!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: dumb question about utilization

ihatefico wrote:
This may be a dumb question, but.... At what point does your utilization start lowering your score. I had 2% and am about to go to about 17%.  I have never been over 4% so I honestly don't know how my score will be affected.  Thank you for your help!

Yo may end up taking a small hit, but is certainly reversable when paid off. The consensus seems to be at 10% intervals where you'd see a hit. If you have 3 or more CCs, I'd guess a 10-15 point hit.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

The important thing to remember is that any hit you take will be temporary. And 17% really isn't that high. Though they'd probably deny it, the credit card companies like it when consumers take an occasional excursion over 10% (even if FICO scoring dings you for it). I wouldn't recommend exceeding 50%, however, and do be sure to pay it down promptly.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.