Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

duplicate open & closed accounts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

duplicate open & closed accounts

after reviewing my credit report i have noticed that there are a couple accounts  that are duplicate, one is even on there 3 times. these account are in good standing but some are closed while others are not. will the open & closed duplicate account affect my score? do the open accounts that are near the max amount affect me tremendously due to my debt compare to my limit? please help am confused... thanks 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Re: duplicate open & closed accounts

I would work with the creditor to get the duplicate accounts removed from the credit report.
FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash+ 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 C State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Quorum FCU State Department FCU State Department FCU Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 2 of 13
fused
Moderator Emeritus

peaches wrote:

after reviewing my credit report i have noticed that there are a couple accounts  that are duplicate, one is even on there 3 times. these account are in good standing but some are closed while others are not. will the open & closed duplicate account affect my score? do the open accounts that are near the max amount affect me tremendously due to my debt compare to my limit? please help am confused... thanks 

Welcome to the forums!

Do the duplicate accounts show the same account numbers? If so, this is hurting your scores a bit.

1.) If the closed accounts have balances, it may be adversely affecting your scores.

2.) Yes, CC accounts that have balances near their credit limits can really damage your scores.

3.) May I suggest you read through the link below, Credit Scoring 101.

Credit Scoring 101

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all... you have both given me great advice which cleared my confusion some. oh and i appreciate you telling me where to further get some more info!!!

thanx 

Message 4 of 13
fused
Moderator Emeritus

peaches wrote:

Thank you all... you have both given me great advice which cleared my confusion some. oh and i appreciate you telling me where to further get some more info!!!

thanx 

You're Welcome! Many of us were in the same boat as you at one time. Credit, credit scoring and debt, it can be very confusing and scary. I hope you stick around and learn and enjoy your time here.

Message 5 of 13
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Actually if the duplicate accounts are positive and bring your AAofA up they are helping.
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@smallfry wrote:
Actually if the duplicate accounts are positive and bring your AAofA up they are helping.

True!  DH has a duplicate second mortgage (closed) that is helping his AAofA, we will never dispute it - just hope it hangs in there.  On the other hand, a duplicate LOC was hurting his AAofA, we disputed it as soon as it showed up and it came off within 30 days.
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

well thanks for the info---but what is AAofA & LOC?

THANKS

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

what is AAofA & LOC?

LOL!!!  Okay, I'll stop.

AAofA is your Average Age of Accounts.  That is the average length of time the accounts on your credit report have been opened.  It doesn't matter if they're open or closed - they average all of them.

LOC is line of credit - or an account listed on your credit report

Common Abbreviations

Hope that helps.  I had a hard time getting my brain around AAofA even when I knew what it meant Smiley Wink.

Message 9 of 13
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

what is AAofA & LOC?

LOL!!!  Okay, I'll stop.

AAofA is your Average Age of Accounts.  That is the average length of time the accounts on your credit report have been opened.  It doesn't matter if they're open or closed - they average all of them.

LOC is line of credit - or an account listed on your credit report

Common Abbreviations

Hope that helps.  I had a hard time getting my brain around AAofA even when I knew what it meant Smiley Wink.

To further elaborate on AAoA:

Your AAoA is the sum of the ages of every account on your report, whether open or closed, calculated in months, divided by the number of accounts and then divided by 12. I use the division by 12 to make it easier to convert into years. This is measured from the time each account was opened until present.

You’ll need to figure the age of each account, open or closed, on each report. If all three reports are identical, you're in luck; otherwise, you'll need to run this for each report.

From a BK years ago to:
7/09 TU-742 EQ- 779
8/09 TU-765 EQ- 783
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Credit Problems Which Is Worse?
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.