New Visitor
justmoony

effect of paying bad debt

HI all - I have a couple of small unpaid collections on my report.  Is there a negative impact on my credit score if I pay these off?  It seems anti-intuitive, but I vaguely recall reading something along those lines because it changes the dates on the bad accounts, making them appear more recent? 
My problem is that I am planning to apply for a mortgage in 6 months and I have to have these items cleared per my mortgage broker - so I can't just let them fall off with time (plus, I really want to pay the old debts off on principle).  Will my score be reduced after making the payment?
Thanks!
Super Contributor
MidnightVoice

Re: effect of paying bad debt

justmoony wrote:
(plus, I really want to pay the old debts off on principle). 
Good on yer mate.  I agree

justmoony wrote:

My problem is that I am planning to apply for a mortgage in 6 months and I have to have these items cleared per my mortgage broker - so I can't just let them fall off with time

As you have to pay them regardless, try for a PFD

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+