Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

false info on Experian increased score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

false info on Experian increased score

I pulled my three credit reports. Experian has a Shell Oil credit card listed that is not mine. I never had or applied for a Shell card. It has been in good standing since 1968. I was born in 1971. So apparantly I applied, recieved and been making payments on this card well before I was a fetus. Hows that for planning ahead. Anyways it has boosted my score 46 points. Why should I dispute this inaccurate info? I'm leaving  it there.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: false info on Experian increased score

Smiley Very Happy

Have you ever had a Texaco? My old Texaco shows as a Shell.

Umm, well, you know it's not right, but if you're going to let it remain, all I can say its keep a very sharp eye on your reports. Someone has managed to move onto your history (maybe accidentally), and you need to know if they buy the Sears Tower and put it on their Amazon MC, showing as yours, and leave town.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I never had a Texaco either. I know for sure I didn't apply for credit in 1968, not Unocal, Chevron, Bankamericard..etc. I would find that to be very difficult for someone born in 1971.
Message 3 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
I never had a Texaco either. I know for sure I didn't apply for credit in 1968, not Unocal, Chevron, Bankamericard..etc. I would find that to be very difficult for someone born in 1971.
True dat.

I'm just exploring the possibilities of a real card reporting with the wrong year. Otherwise, as I said, keep a sharp eye out, in case someone has mooched your SSN and used it to set up a false identitiy.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I never thought of that. Identity theft. Who in there right mind would want my identity. On the other hand how can I find out who this person is and steal their identity? But seriuosly, Now I am alittle worried about how this got on my CR, and what is next. Should I sign up for one of these Identity theft protection services or are they a scam?
Message 5 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
I never thought of that. Identity theft. Who in there right mind would want my identity. On the other hand how can I find out who this person is and steal their identity? But seriuosly, Now I am alittle worried about how this got on my CR, and what is next. Should I sign up for one of these Identity theft protection services or are they a scam?

I'm leaving this for those with experience in this area. But it's not unusual for identity thieves to go after kids' ID, and even moreso, that of children who died young.

You might want to pull your full reports, which show your soft inquiries. Good luck!
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

The CRA is just miss reporting it-

Ya got two choices - dispute as "not Mine" or forget you saw it.

ID thief's don't open old perfect TL's -
Message 7 of 10
wmarat
Valued Contributor

I am just curious. I s there any legal responsibility to report such an TL.
IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 8 of 10
LuvsRetro
Frequent Contributor

I kind of have the same situation, except mine is a closed paid mortgage showing opened in 1929, myFico reports my history as "very good"!    This has been on my report for over 4 years that I know of.

Only thing with that is, I was born a little over 30 years later. 

I'm not disputing it.  I am sure it's because my current mortgage which is also with the same bank somehow misreported it at some time.  They are also reporting my current mortgage. 

I am not touching it!   My reports don't have a date to drop off either. 
10/01/2017 myFico EQ-778 TU-793 EX-781
11/01/2017 myFico EX-799, Barclays 11-4 Reported: EQ-796 TU-826 EX-799
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got married in June.  Changed my last name and then the next thing I know there is an additional Social Security number attached to my credit reports.  Someone 40 years my senior with excellent credit.  I had her addresses, all her credit cards numbers, her address and her husbands name all added to my credit report.  So I ask you if a Credit File is unique to a Social Security number, how does this happen?  What to know what Experian said?  "Oh well...yes...it's because you have the same last name."   WHAT!!!!!!!  Are you kidding me with this.  So it took me a few weeks to unwrap that person from my reports and I didn't want to give her a heart attack my letting her know of the mistake.  I had her phone number afterall.  I hope she did not end up with my Social wrapped around hers.  I doubt she even knows what FICO is and what her credit looks like.  It is so ridiculous that you have to monitor every aspect of your existence on this planet.  One slip of a key stroke by the tired clerk at whatever store, bank or mortgage company and you get to spend years unwrapping that unwanted gift.  Good luck to us all.

Message Edited by POWDER-PUFF on 12-12-2007 05:06 PM
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.