Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

got some extra money which should i pay

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

got some extra money which should i pay

I came across some extra money should i pay off my credit cards (with a lower interest rate but maxed out) or my car loan(higher interest). I am trying to  get a house so i need my credit score to increase above everything else. Just looking at interest rates i was going to pay the car. Will paying either one weight the same on my credit. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Message 1 of 2
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: got some extra money which should i pay

Best bang for your buck, pay off your credit cards. Ideally, all but one will report $0 (that means you pay them off before their statements drop), and that one card will just show a small balance, $10 - 20. This should help you most with your scores.

On the loan, just keep paying timely. Your mortgage lender will also look at your monthly obligations, though. This advice is strictly for scoring purposes.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 2
1 REPLY 1
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: got some extra money which should i pay

Best bang for your buck, pay off your credit cards. Ideally, all but one will report $0 (that means you pay them off before their statements drop), and that one card will just show a small balance, $10 - 20. This should help you most with your scores.

On the loan, just keep paying timely. Your mortgage lender will also look at your monthly obligations, though. This advice is strictly for scoring purposes.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.