Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how bad is inquiries on your report?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

how bad is inquiries on your report?

hello again i have 4 inquiries in my report , but by the next 3 month all is comming out will my score go up then or not.

experts please help my wife and i only have 6months to go before we start looking for a morgage.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Re: how bad is inquiries on your report?

Inquiries hurt for one year then stop hurting, even though they report for two years or so. Once they fall off at two years, you won't get a score increase. You already got a minor bump after one year.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 849
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have too many wait 6 months before you app for something new. They don't hurt as much after 6 mo, and after a year your totally fine again. If these inqs are older than 12 months already you have already regained the point loss back.

Message Edited by ilovepizza on 02-18-2008 02:24 PM
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

hey ilovepizza i have only one collection in my cr mark paid why is still hurting my score if you know replie please.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

The presence of a CA paid or unpaid will ding you good-

This is why we try hard for PFD's because the score difference between a paid and unpaid CA (updated at the same time) is zero.

How recent the collection has reported also makes a difference-

jcastor24 wrote:
hey ilovepizza i have only one collection in my cr mark paid why is still hurting my score if you know replie please.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, please clarify the mystery of effect of inquiries.....

It was said earlier in this thread to "wait 6 months...because they don't hurt so much after 6 months and not at all after 1 year.."

We all know about the 1 year thing, but which is the right answer about the effect during the 12 months?

a) Inquiries hurt exactly the same for 12 months, then zero effect
b) Inquiries hurt for 6 months, then slowly hurt less from months 6-12 and then zero effect
or
c) Inquiries hurt in the beginning but then slowly lessen the hurt during the several months from, say month 3 to month 12, and then zero effect

Which is the answer, so we can post this and people will stop asking and being confused?

Message Edited by Boscoe on 03-04-2008 01:51 PM
Message 6 of 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

jcastor24 wrote:
hello again i have 4 inquiries in my report , but by the next 3 month all is comming out will my score go up then or not.

experts please help my wife and i only have 6months to go before we start looking for a morgage.

And 4 inquiries aren't that bad. I have up to 26 on EX in the past year but haven't received any dings in score after applying for the past several. Now you probably don't want to go on an app spree before applying for that mortgage.
Message 7 of 10
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Boscoe, the truth is that if the inq is going to hurt your score, it will hurt it the same for the 12 months, then poof, it's gone.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 849
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

As ByrdMan said.

The confusion comes from the fact that new accounts start hurting less after 3 months and then 6 months. So it's not that the inq hurts less, it's that the account that resulted from the inq is a little older, and IT'S hurting less.

In my experience, inqs all by themselves don't hurt most people all that much on their scores. But their presence on your reports can hurt when you are applying for more credit. Lots of inqs makes it look like you're in some frantic, frenzied quest for more, more, more credit. That's why it's smart to plan your app'ing carefully.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 9 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Check out the post on the "Credit Education" page (click tab on the top menu.  It gives myFICO's explanation of inquiries, particulary multiples on mortage and auto.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.