cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how often should i buy my credit reports?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

how often should i buy my credit reports?

hello im fairly new to the whole credit world " how it really works and getting it  higher". My question is how often should i buy my credit reports? currently my score watch shows me my Equifax and my discover it shows me my transunion. is that eough to where i only need to buy the experian or should i buy them all here ?

confused. shine some light please.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: how often should i buy my credit reports?

Buying your credit report allows you to view information within the report and see if it is accurate, or if maybe something is wrong. What you are talking about is your credit SCORE. The score is basically just a looking glass into what could possibly be in someones report. 

I personally dont purchase my reports ever. You are able to view all three for free once per year from annualcreditreport.com. I also use CreditKarma which collects information from your Transunion report and allows you to view the info on there, and I use creditsesame which is similar, but with experian. 

You can also view your reports for free any time you are denied credit, or insurance (for credit reasons), or a job (for credit reasons) and so on. This is called an AA (Adverse Action) report. 

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jsucool76 wrote:

Buying your credit report allows you to view information within the report and see if it is accurate, or if maybe something is wrong. What you are talking about is your credit SCORE. The score is basically just a looking glass into what could possibly be in someones report. 

I personally dont purchase my reports ever. You are able to view all three for free once per year from annualcreditreport.com. I also use CreditKarma which collects information from your Transunion report and allows you to view the info on there, and I use creditsesame which is similar, but with experian. 

You can also view your reports for free any time you are denied credit, or insurance (for credit reasons), or a job (for credit reasons) and so on. This is called an AA (Adverse Action) report. 

Alright thanks for the insight, ill join credit sesame. Since i like free a lot better!

Message 3 of 7
jsucool76
Super Contributor

CreditSesame updates once a month I think...it gives you a score, but take it with a grain of salt, but it gives you a decent amount of information that is withing your report. 

Message 4 of 7
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

Alright thanks for the insight, ill join credit sesame. Since i like free a lot better!

I use CreditKarma and based on credit doctor http://www.doctorofcredit.com/credit-karma-vs-credit-sesame-vs-quizzle-which-is-the-best-free-credit-monitoring-portal/ a comparison rated both CreditKarma an Quizzle better than Credit Sesame.  Since CreditKarma is also providing a free credit report these days, they'd be rated even better now.

Personally, I like the alerts that I get from CreditKarma and I get them more often and quicker than I get them from my paid ID Theft protection service.

Original Mortgage maturity Sept 2044; Refi maturity Dec 2030
Starting Score: EX 751 EQ 720 TU 737 on 4/9/14
Current Score: EX 849 EQ 835 TU 843
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 7
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@bdhu2001 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

I use CreditKarma and based on credit doctor http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/how-often-should-i-buy-my-credit-reports/td-p/3359465 a comparison rated both CreditKarma an Quizzle better than Credit Sesame.  Since CreditKarma is also providing a free credit report these days, they'd be rated even better now.

Personally, I like the alerts that I get from CreditKarma and I get them more often and quicker than I get them from my paid ID Theft protection service.

However, creditkarma is transunion ,creditsesame is experian, and quizzle is equifax. So there is no better or worse between the three, because each pulls information from different CRAs. Ideally, you use all three and get a free peek into what is happening. 

Message 6 of 7
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@bdhu2001 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

I use CreditKarma and based on credit doctor http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/how-often-should-i-buy-my-credit-reports/td-p/3359465 a comparison rated both CreditKarma an Quizzle better than Credit Sesame.  Since CreditKarma is also providing a free credit report these days, they'd be rated even better now.

However, creditkarma is transunion ,creditsesame is experian, and quizzle is equifax. So there is no better or worse between the three, because each pulls information from different CRAs. Ideally, you use all three and get a free peek into what is happening. 

Agreed in term of report. I edited my post, because I didn't provide the correct link http://www.doctorofcredit.com/credit-karma-vs-credit-sesame-vs-quizzle-which-is-the-best-free-credit-monitoring-portal/ It does state that it's not bad to sign up for all three, but it also shows the rationale on why they rated them differently.

Original Mortgage maturity Sept 2044; Refi maturity Dec 2030
Starting Score: EX 751 EQ 720 TU 737 on 4/9/14
Current Score: EX 849 EQ 835 TU 843
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.