Frequent Contributor

is credit karma legit?

Is credit karma legit cause my scores are way off compared to fico
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Re: is credit karma legit?

CK is "legit" in the sense of providing real credit report data.

Their scores ae "legit," only in the sense of being Vantage III, which is a model used a few places in the real world. But the scores are not FICOs, which means that they won't match the majority of real world credit pulls.

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Before I knew about MYFICO I signed up at Credit Karma and almost immedialty starting getting emails from this Lexington Law Credit repair place. I tried there service and I was not happy nor did it work I have no idea of the affiliation however I researched some more and ran across MYFICO and this is the only place you can get your true Fico score and I have signed up for the credit monitoring which I think is great. In my opinon this is the only place you can honestly get the assistance you need to either clean your credit or increase your score off of the boards and get your real scores. Best of luck to you..

Message 3 of 14
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Before I knew about MYFICO I signed up at Credit Karma and almost immedialty starting getting emails from this Lexington Law Credit repair place. I tried there service and I was not happy nor did it work I have no idea of the affiliation however I researched some more and ran across MYFICO and this is the only place you can get your true Fico score and I have signed up for the credit monitoring which I think is great. In my opinon this is the only place you can honestly get the assistance you need to either clean your credit or increase your score off of the boards and get your real scores. Best of luck to you..

Not entirely true.  There are other sources for true FICO scores, such as various credit cards that now offer a free FICO score, ie,  Discover, and Citi.  One can get all three scores from here, and also see variations on that score/report.

Message 4 of 14
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@bsal wrote:

My experience with it has been that they are pretty dang close Smiley Happy

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 5 of 14
masscredit
Valued Contributor

My account info that they report is accurate but the scores aren't. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 6 of 14
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@bsal wrote:

My experience with it has been that they are pretty dang close Smiley Happy

Mine, too. I've never had CK depart widely from my real FICOS, while Credit Sesame occasionally produced such howlers that I finally quit their monitoring service.

This is a big YMMV, though. You hear LOTS of reports about CK scores being way off.

Message 7 of 14
bsal
Frequent Contributor

Well then I'm starting to question this site myfico because I have score monitor and how accurate it is. On myfico it says my equifax is 613 but on Ck it says my score is 532 and with my pentagon federal credit union it's saying my score is 568 now that's a big difference so I don't know what else to do and what score is my true score. I'm at a complete lost I thought this site was your true score I'm at a lost
Message 8 of 14
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@bsal wrote:
Well then I'm starting to question this site myfico because I have score monitor and how accurate it is. On myfico it says my equifax is 613 but on Ck it says my score is 532 and with my pentagon federal credit union it's saying my score is 568 now that's a big difference so I don't know what else to do and what score is my true score. I'm at a complete lost I thought this site was your true score I'm at a lost

At the top of the page on this sub-forum, there are some stickies -- topics that explain some of the nuances of credit scoring.

Check out:

FICO vs FAKO

The Many Flavors of FICO

Difference In Scores

Message 9 of 14
NRB525
Super Contributor

@bsal wrote:

EQ 613. Go with it.

The other two are other scoring models. They can be used in limited cases to see directional changes, but the score number is not FICO 8. 

Discover TU is accurate, Chase Slate is accurate, some others.

Capital One is another "not FICO 8" score

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.