cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

left one CC with $13 blance and equifax score dropped 6 points for this increase?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

left one CC with $13 blance and equifax score dropped 6 points for this increase?

i'm in the process of buying a house my scores are boderline to qualify.... over the last few months i paid all my cards off and that seemed to work well.. Today I get a notification that my score dropped 6 points for having a $13 balance on my capital one card. I don't understand i'm using like 1 percent of my credit yet my score dropped??? how can i get the best results for scoring.. I can't afford to have it drop anymore its please help me understand this FICO better thanks

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: left one CC with $13 blance and equifax score dropped 6 points for this increase?

Which EQ scores are you seeing - FICO 08 or mortgage scores?

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: left one CC with $13 blance and equifax score dropped 6 points for this increase?

thanks for the reply.. it changed my FICO 8 Mortgage score by 6 points..

Message 3 of 9
IllinoisNative
Contributor

I though I read here to maximize your score, you had to let 3% to 9% report on one card. Maybe you're using too little?  I don't know.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for your advice i will look into that...

Message 5 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

How many cards do you have reporting a balance?

If you step across a line and this is drawn differently for different files (for example, on EQ FICO 8 if I go from 2 to 3 cards reporting a balance I lose 3 points, even on trivial dollar amounts as you suggest), which is why we typically suggest only have one card reporting a balance and the rest report zero as that's effectively optimal from all our testing for everyone.

There's multiple calculations when it comes to revolving utilization, aggregate utilization is only one of them.

        
Message 6 of 9
rockup55
Contributor

I consider any point move of 10 or less to be noise.  Sometimes my score go up and down 5 to 8 point for no apparent change in any underlying fundamental.  Managing your scores is much more of a art then a science.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

i have one card reporting a balance of 13 dollars everything else is paid in full so none of it makes an sense to me. I also found many people on this site that have the same issue i'm afriad to even use them anymore...

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

i have one card reporting a balance of 13 dollars everything else is paid in full so none of it makes an sense to me. I also found many people on this site that have the same issue i'm afriad to even use them anymore...

Do you have any old charged off CC accounts that are reporting a balance? That might account for such odd movements.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.