Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

multiple Inquiries

tag
howiez28
New Contributor

multiple Inquiries

Please tell me that it's true that when you apply for either a mortgage/auto loan and your credit is pulled several times within a short period of time it only counts once.  We recently approached a LO to see where we are and what we need to do in order to apply for a VA mortgage in the near future.  Well, he had our CR pulled several times and my score is going downhill fast.

We also needed to get a new car last month and the dealership, even though they financed us, sent my application to 4-5 different places and they all pulled my CR.  So upset right now.  I'm still getting daily alerts of a new inquiry on my report.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Re: multiple Inquiries

It all depends on how the inquiries are coded. If the lenders properly coded the inquiries as mortgage/auto, then all the inquiries within a certain window (30-45 days), will be counted as 1 inquiry for FICO scoring purposes, but will all still be listed on your report. Having multiple inquiries can sometimes trigger automatic declines when requesting certain credit products, but usually a recon can overcome this automatic decline by explaining they were all for the purchase of a car or a home.

It's hit or miss if people code inquiries correctly though.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.