Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

multiple late payments on CR

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

multiple late payments on CR

Hello all,  this is my first message in the forum and I'm looking for info. in regards to multiple late payments on my credit report.  My credit report shows 79 late payments from old credit cards that are closed accounts.  One card in particular, Capitol One, is reporting 44 late payments.  I have about five other old credit cards that are showing between 4 and 10 late payment to add up to the total of 79 late payments.  All my past credit cards were closed and went to collection agencies that I either paid in full or paid a settlement amount.  I currently have one credit card and one signature loan that I am paying as agreed and are in good standing.  I have paid off or settled all past credit cards and debt that I have ever had.  I am currently trying to raise my score from my horrible credit history and I am finally on the right track financially.  I  believe all the reported late payments are correct on my credit report so accuracy is not the issue, I was wondering if there is any way to get the late payments removed from my credit report? And if my score would raise by getting rid of the late payments?  Or should I leave them alone since I already made my score drop by disputing some things.

I pulled my report from this site (experian) and have a score of 539.  (I just made the mistake of disputing some old balances that should show as being paid off.  Although they fixed the mistakes my score dropped 34 points)  I should've read these forums first!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the help 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: multiple late payments on CR

All these lates sound suspect,so please provide more info, with the following in mind.

OC lates can only be reported on an open account. Once an account is closed, you no longer have a monthly due date, so the OC cant continue to report monthly delinquencies. 

The OC must then let it ride, charge it off,or place it into collection.  A CA cannot report monthly delinquencies.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

...I was wondering if there is any way to get the late payments removed from my credit report? And if my score would raise by getting rid of the late payments?  Or should I leave them alone since I already made my score drop by disputing some things....

You can try sending out Good Will letters to these creditors and show proof of payment... and provide a reason for the lates...

Keep sending Goodwill letters even if they respond in the negative or dont respond at all... keep persisting... but dont become a pest. eventually you will get to the right person who will be willing to work with you.

All the best and welcome to the forums! This is a great place to learn about personal finance....

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much for the info.  In regards to Capitol One reporting 44 late payments, I now know that is incorrect because the account was closed some time around 2004 and they report late payments for every month over the last 3 years.  Should I leave it how it is on my credit report, dispute it or try writing the good will letters?  Will any of those three options help my score go up if this issue corrected? 

I also don't have any proof that I paid the account off from Capitol One.  I tried to have them fax or send me something a few years ago when I did settle the account and then again earlier this year but I never received anything from them after numerous requests.

In regards to the other closed credit cards reporting late payments that added to my total of 79 late payments, they all appear to be legit, correct and while the accounts were open.  Should I still try the good will letters with them?  Do you know if my score will go up by knocking down most of these late payments that were reported, specially since 44 of them are incorrect?  

I   just want my score to go up so I can qualify for a home loan as soon as possible.     

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.