Not applicable

my FICO score vs Equifax score

Which on is the real credit score???

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: my FICO score vs Equifax score

Your myFICO EQ score is a Beacon 5.0, which is the "real" classic FICO score model for Equifax.

Unfortunately, Equifax is now selling FAKO's from their site with their 3-in-1 monitoring, although with some determined hunting, you can still buy your EQ FICO there. But they certainly don't make it easy.

There are also specialized "industry-enhanced" FICO scores that are tailored for auto loans and other areas. They have a higher score range (up to 900), and they weight factors in your score reports differently. That's why scores for auto loans are often different from classic FICO scores like Beacon 5.0, which are used by the mortgage industry especially, and many other types of lenders as well.

There is also a newer version of FICO scores called FICO 08, but it hasn't really penetrated the industry yet. Plus some credit unions and others use FICO NextGen scores, which mostly sank without trace, but you might come across them in a few places.

If you get your FICO scores from a mortgage lender that involves Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac, the EQ score is the score you get here (the Beacon 5.0.)

An EQ "credit score" from anywhere else --for instance, a credit monitoring service like TrueCredit, FreeCreditReport, FreeCreditScores, Experian, etc etc  --is a FAKO, period.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 5
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Excellent explanation hauling! I bookmarked it for future reference.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802
EQ - 7/06-663, 3/10-800, 10/10-813
TU - 10/10-774
You can do the same thing with hard work

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the explanation.  How can I see what the auto industry uses?

Message 4 of 5
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the explanation.  How can I see what the auto industry uses?

Unfortunately the general public doesn't have access to those scores.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802
EQ - 7/06-663, 3/10-800, 10/10-813
TU - 10/10-774
You can do the same thing with hard work

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.