cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

myFico score MUCH lower than what lender pulled....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

myFico score MUCH lower than what lender pulled....

So... I'm in the process of getting financed to purchase a home and I've been tweaking my credit and cleaning things over the last 15 months. Yesterday I pulled all three reports on this site and my middle score with myfico was transunion at 641.  Gave the lender the go ahead and for his report transunion was a 667. Why the fluctuation? I thought this site provided the actual FICO scores that the lender would use.... 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: myFico score MUCH lower than what lender pulled....

Welcome to the forum 

There are many flavors of Fico scoring in fact over 50 to be honest and the ones pulled by your lenders are different and used strictly for mortgages 

Scores here are Fico 08 you lender pull 04

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ahh... okay. That makes sense. I like it better then Smiley Wink 

Message 3 of 10
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

So... I'm in the process of getting financed to purchase a home and I've been tweaking my credit and cleaning things over the last 15 months. Yesterday I pulled all three reports on this site and my middle score with myfico was transunion at 641.  Gave the lender the go ahead and for his report transunion was a 667. Why the fluctuation? I thought this site provided the actual FICO scores that the lender would use.... 

myjourney is correct, the mortgage industry is standardized on an older model than the one sold by MyFICO.

However the good news here is that your scores are higher with your creditor, many people have reported the opposite.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, thank you so much for sharing this information with us. I am preparing for the home buying process too and I plan on using Bank of America since I presently bank with them. BOA only requires a 600 middle score to receive an FHA loan and my middle score on myFICO is over that. However, I just haven't been able to get them to tell me what version of FICO they use for the Tri-Merge reports. Would you share the name of the lender that pulled your scores?

On another note:

I really don't understand why lenders withhold that information. I think consumers should have the right to know (in advance) what type of score and/or version that the lender is going to pull. When I apply for credit I'd like to know if they are pulling a FICO score or VantageScore and what versions of FICO and VantageScore. FICO has up to 9 scoring modules and VantageScore now has Vantage 1.0 - 3.0. I really believe consumers deserve to have a right to know what scores a creditor is pulling in advance. If I don't want my VantageScore 3.0 to be used I should be able to refuse and go to their competitor who pulls the scores that are in my best interest. Having this knowledge gives us as the consumer the power to "SHOP AROUND" ... we can then compare interest rates, repayment terms, etc. Quite naturally if I know that I have a higher FICO 04 score than a FICO 8 score, I would go with the lender that uses FICO 04. Imagine being able to know if car lot (A) is using FICO 04 or FICO 9 ... or if they use Vantage 1.0, 2.0 or 3.0 .... imagine applying for a credit card and knowing exactly what scores the credit card companies are looking for. I am tired of being in the dark until you get either the approval or denial letter. It just seems unfair to consumers. What can we do to change this?

Thank you!

-dreamhome2015

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, thank you so much for sharing this information with us. I am preparing for the home buying process too and I plan on using Bank of America since I presently bank with them. BOA only requires a 600 middle score to receive an FHA loan and my middle score on myFICO is over that. However, I just haven't been able to get them to tell me what version of FICO they use for the Tri-Merge reports. Would you share the name of the lender that pulled your scores?

On another note:

I really don't understand why lenders withhold that information. I think consumers should have the right to know (in advance) what type of score and/or version that the lender is going to pull. When I apply for credit I'd like to know if they are pulling a FICO score or VantageScore and what versions of FICO and VantageScore. FICO has up to 9 scoring modules and VantageScore now has Vantage 1.0 - 3.0. I really believe consumers deserve to have a right to know what scores a creditor is pulling in advance. If I don't want my VantageScore 3.0 to be used I should be able to refuse and go to their competitor who pulls the scores that are in my best interest. Having this knowledge gives us as the consumer the power to "SHOP AROUND" ... we can then compare interest rates, repayment terms, etc. Quite naturally if I know that I have a higher FICO 04 score than a FICO 8 score, I would go with the lender that uses FICO 04. Imagine being able to know if car lot (A) is using FICO 04 or FICO 9 ... or if they use Vantage 1.0, 2.0 or 3.0 .... imagine applying for a credit card and knowing exactly what scores the credit card companies are looking for. I am tired of being in the dark until you get either the approval or denial letter. It just seems unfair to consumers. What can we do to change this?

Thank you!

-dreamhome2015

Why on earth would bankers want to give us such power?

But yeah, I agree 100%.

Message 6 of 10
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

OP, be glad your scores went the way they did!  I applied for an auto loan and my CU pulled a score typically used for mortgages.  It turned out my score on that report was 40+ points lower than the one on this site.  So my surprise was a bad one, while yours was at least a good one!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 10
ddemari
Super Contributor

Both my TU and EQ 04 FICO's are 60 points higher than my 08 ones. I too have heard more people say 04 was not friendly to them. But 04 is definitely a good friend to me. 

Message 8 of 10
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

I've had MF's Scorewatch for years and about a year ago EQ FICO scores transitioned from EQ 4 to EQ 8 since that is what most credit issuers use. I didn't see any real change. The newer score was less sensitive to the accounts with balances while the older one ignored Amex charge card balances. There was some fluctuation due to these difference and probably others.

Mortgages are probably the most important type of credit most of us will ever use but credit cards are the most numerous use of credit scores.

Mortgages tend to stick with older credit scores because they have very long time horizons and the newer scores, while more predictive for credit cards, take more time to establish validity for mortgage purposes.

Also, each issuer of credit has their own portfolio based on earlier credit scores so even when a new score comes out it can take several years before a CC issuer will feel comfortable switching. Credit scores are a market. There is continuous improvment in these products and lenders want the most predictive scores they can get consistent with validation on their own customer base and these vary bank to bank.  There just isn't such a thing as a "perfect" credit score. These are all statistical estimates and the economy and behavior of consumers varies over time. Even between bank's overall customers.

Remember that the purpose of improving credit scores is to be able to lend to more people, not fewer. Since the large majority of people with older credit scores will repay future loans the goal of these score algorithm improvements is to sus out those folks so they can be approved and not declined. There are some with good older scores that may be at higher risk and suffer declines with new scores but these are fewer in number. Doing this allows FICO and other score providers to sell their scores for a reasonable profit and recoup the rather large investments needed for creating highly predictive algorithms.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 9 of 10
ddemari
Super Contributor

Nicely said!!!
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.