cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

myfico.com scores DO NOT match scores from my Lender (not close)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

myfico.com scores DO NOT match scores from my Lender (not close)

I pulled my three scores from myfico.com 

They were:

EQ-624

TU-650

EX-633

My lender pulled them the same day from Avantus, and they were:

EQ-570

TU-565

ES-558

I understand a difference maybe of a few points, but these seem very extreme.

I would appreciate any suggestions.  Also, is there an ACCURATE tool that I can use that will show me exactly what changes I need to make that will directly affect my scores?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: myfico.com scores DO NOT match scores from my Lender (not close)

What type of loan were you applying for?

I did a little research, and it appears that Avantus uses different versions of the FICO score than myFICO. There's not just one formula for FICO; there are many different formulas, and scores can differ drastically.

Avantus pulls TU FICO Risk Score, Classic (04), EX Fair Isaac (v2), and EQ Beacon 5.0, while I believe myFICO uses the FICO 08 score, which is more lenient in some areas.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply. I was shocked at the difference.  We are looking into refinancing our mortgage.

I am also trying to see the best way to rapidy increase my scores to get above 600, and I am looking for a tool that will show me exactly what I need to do in order to accomplish this.  Any recommendations for a tool that will do this?

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think it's possible to have as accurate of a tool as you're looking for since the exact FICO algorithms are not pubicly available.

What are the major issues that are causing your score to be so low?

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have high CC balances, a charge off from our second mortgage, and 3 medlical collection accounts which are wrong and have been corrected.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

The fastest and easiest way to improve your score will be to pay off the CC balances. Also likely that the charge off is hurting you very badly with mortgage lenders. Hopefully others will chime in here.

Message 6 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I understand a difference maybe of a few points, but these seem very extreme.

You can't just assume that there will only be a few points difference between any two scoring models and data sources.  The variance all depends on the models and the data.  There could be a small variance or there could be a significant variance.  No matter what you can't rely on one scoring model to determine the score generated by an entirely different scoring model.

@Anonymous wrote:

Also, is there an ACCURATE tool that I can use that will show me exactly what changes I need to make that will directly affect my scores?

Nope.  There are plenty of simulators but they don't know the details of the various FICO models so they're really not relevant.  However, you can read up here and ask away.  I always suggest starting here:

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

We can't tell you that you'll get X points for doing Y but given the information in the link above and some other credit knowledge as well as an understanding of your credit we can guide you to improving the data in your reports.

@Anonymous wrote:

I have high CC balances, a charge off from our second mortgage, and 3 medlical collection accounts which are wrong and have been corrected.

Payment History, the biggest slice above is affect by derogs.  Therefore dergos tend to have a significant impact (depends on age) so they should always be addressed first.  Derogs can hold your score down even if you address everything else.  When you say "corrected" does that mean removed?  If they were not removed then hit the Rebuilding subforum and see what you can do to try to get them removed.

Utilization (balance[s]/limit[s]) is the second biggest slice.  If your utilization is high then you'll want to decrease it as utilization can also have a significant impact.  30% is the generally recommended max but if you're looking to eke out every possible point then you may want to allow only one balance to report at 10% or less.  Calculate both individual utilization for each of your revolving accounts as well as overall utilization -- both matter.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.