Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new account affecting my fico score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

new account affecting my fico score

the report says my fico score was affected because i opened a new account, so should i close it?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: new account affecting my fico score

@Anonymous wrote:

the report says my fico score was affected because i opened a new account, so should i close it?

No. Closing it would still result in it's reporting and won't impact that aspect of scoring and less than what it is now (new credit). If you were dinged, you should regain those points over the next 6-12 months with most returning by the 6-month point.

Message 2 of 4
cashcardscore
New Contributor

DO NOT CLOSE IT!

Like what was already stated, you score will take a dip due to a new account reporting but after 6 or so months it will go up even more than it dropped. Have a decent number of accounts that you have payed on time for years and you will be good to go.

Starting Score: EQ 577
Current Score: EQ 686
Goal Score:EQ 700

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@cashcardscore wrote:

DO NOT CLOSE IT!

Like what was already stated, you score will take a dip due to a new account reporting but after 6 or so months it will go up even more than it dropped. Have a decent number of accounts that you have payed on time for years and you will be good to go.

I'm not sure what you mean by "it will go up even more than it dropped."  Perhaps you could explain.

IME, the score drop from having a new account is usually partially or fully recovered at about 6-12 months.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.