Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new account score increase?

tag
Jake0215
Frequent Contributor

new account score increase?

I recently was approved for another card with my largest limit yet. 6k. when i run a simulator as to how this will effect my score i see a rather large increase because of the added available credit. Is this a "rebucket" situation? have i crossed a threshold?

Starting Score: 617 EQ 10-17-11
Current Score: EQ 767 TU 769 EX 749 (all FICO but who really knows?)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: new account score increase?

@Jake0215 wrote:

I recently was approved for another card with my largest limit yet. 6k. when i run a simulator as to how this will effect my score i see a rather large increase because of the added available credit. Is this a "rebucket" situation? have i crossed a threshold?

Simulators are notoriously bad; however, could be a rebucket (number of tradelines probably has some threshold I'd guess), or it could be taking your current utilization into account and factoring in 0 additional balance, and 6K more CL.

Or it could be playing pin the tail on the donkey while blindfolded and drunk: I haven't found a simulator yet even with my comparitively simple credit report that tracks my FICO changes with any legitimacy.  I'll admit though to finding the Credit Karma estimates rather too amusing Smiley Wink

        
Message 2 of 3
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: new account score increase?

@Jake0215 wrote:

You don't get rebucketed for an increase in CL. It's generally age-related, plus (maybe) presence of a new account, and whether or not you have negatives.

Do you have balances that report? If so, the $6k on the new card appears to increase your total CL enough to drop your util into a lower tier, so it's projecting a score increase due to lowered util.

Do be aware that the sim is certainly not Gospel.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.