Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new card

tag
CLANCY910
Established Member

new card

so i just got approved for the new discover it card. when the card reports to the credit bureaus will my score go up if so about how many points do you think? my CL is only 1.200 for now.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: new card

Chances are your score will drop a little bit depending on your profile. The new inq plus the drop in aaoa will cause a small drop.
Message 2 of 5
dodfire
Valued Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:
Chances are your score will drop a little bit depending on your profile. The new inq plus the drop in aaoa will cause a small drop.

This is true... Congrats on your approval.

*8/10/13
Message 3 of 5
CS800
Super Contributor

Congrats on the card.

There is no saying if your score will go up or down. It depends what is on your credit file, AAoA etc.

Reducing your overall util will gain you some good points, the inquiry might lower your score, you might lose some points for AAoA.

YMMV

Message 4 of 5
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@CLANCY910 wrote:

so i just got approved for the new discover it card. when the card reports to the credit bureaus will my score go up if so about how many points do you think? my CL is only 1.200 for now.

My credit union financial advisor gave me some admittedly very general but still timely advice, that I've found to be true with most of my applications for credit cards.  He told me that, in general, one loses about 10 points (for the inquiry and AAoA change), but gain 15 points (lower util and new TL) for a net of 5 points per credit card application.  This is to start and usually the gain is seen in just a few months.  As your accounts age, the points go up, as long as the accounts are kept current/PIF, no lates, etc. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.