cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new college grad needs some navigation.......

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

new college grad needs some navigation.......

hello friends, i am a recent college grad who was lucky enough to land a 100K+ job in the healthcare industry. unfortunately this fine education i needed ended up costing me close to 90K in student loans currently at 4.8% interest.  i also managed to destroy my credit in the early years (2000-2004) of college and have several collections totalling about $2500, i have paid some of them off.  i have only one cc which has a low balance and i have been paying regularly. 

my question is regarding home ownership, i am currently on track to save roughly 60k by 2011 (although i may have to borrow about 20k from 401k) to be able to finance a nice 300k home for my family.  my current ficos are tu:620, eq: 607, ex: 598,  and the simulator projects that i can acheive a score of roughly 700 if i pay my bills on time for the next 24 months.  do you think i am being too conservative thinking i will need a full 20% down to get a decent rate or will i be able to negotiate less than 8% based on my income alone....i really dont want to pay for PMI but i would like to get this tax write off sooner than later..... should i jump in sooner or wait to save 20% and increase my fico scores.... any expertise would be greatly appreciated

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Chopbrocoli
Established Contributor

Re: new college grad needs some navigation.......

In this economic climate and especially for your situation, I'm pretty sure income alone will not suffice. You are going to need to show the lender that you have a low debt to income ratio, 20% down for the house, and great FICO's to have a good rate.

I would start DV'ing the collections and doing a PFD. Are the collection accounts your only baddies?

AMEX Gold Premier Rewards | SPG AMEX | Bank of America Power Rewards | Merrill Plus | United Presidential Plus | Saks World Elite
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for the response,  for the most part my collections are the only baddies, i did have 1 30 day late payment on a cc back in 7-07, but thats it.  can you explain to me how PFD works?  i appreciate the responses...
Message 3 of 5
Chopbrocoli
Established Contributor

Not a problem. A PFD is a pay for delete. Some CA's will usually request a pay in full for the deletion of the collection account from the credit report. Here is an exaple of a PFD at: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?message.uid=4519#U4519

As for your 30 days late, you can also send a good will letter to your creditor. Heres an example letter at: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=generalcredit&message.id=2661

Just curious, did you get out of undergrad or MBA for the healthcare position? Congrats on the new job!

AMEX Gold Premier Rewards | SPG AMEX | Bank of America Power Rewards | Merrill Plus | United Presidential Plus | Saks World Elite
Message 4 of 5
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Martin, remember the order of things, DV first then PFD.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.