Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new loan affect on score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

new loan affect on score

Can anyone tell me what kind of a point drop I might expect for adding a new installment loan?  Any idea how long it will stay down? 

I have two installment loans that will be paid off this summer at the same time.  This will change my mixture of credit to revolving only.  I fell like I should get a new installment loan soon to offset the loss in credit mixture as I need a new vehicle anyway. Is this sound thinking?
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: new loan affect on score

lilkjohnson wrote:
Can anyone tell me what kind of a point drop I might expect for adding a new installment loan?  Any idea how long it will stay down? 

I have two installment loans that will be paid off this summer at the same time.  This will change my mixture of credit to revolving only.  I fell like I should get a new installment loan soon to offset the loss in credit mixture as I need a new vehicle anyway. Is this sound thinking?

Adding a new installment loan solely for the purpose of improving one's mix usually backfires.

A new loan means a new account, reaging your file and hurting your FICO, and a new inquiry, which together usually do enough damage to more than offset whatever benefit you get from the mix.

How many inquiries do you have on each CR?  How many total accounts, and what is their average age?

Message Edited by cheddar on 03-29-2008 10:46 PM
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: new loan affect on score

Most of damage is the INQ's and if it greatly affects your Avg age of accounts.  Most people recover in 3 to 6 months.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.