Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new rev accounts on FICO...and student loans, too

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

new rev accounts on FICO...and student loans, too

Just got a new $750 HSBC card.  Scores are upper 500s.  My biggest negatives are a BK and high utils, the high util will be paid down over the next couple months.

Main questions are:

-Conventional wisdom here says a credit card isn't really "counted" for six months.  With less than 6 months reporting, does it have no effect?  As far as utilization %, pay history, etc?

-I have 5 deferred student loans.  Is that good, bad, or indifferent?  They're from 2 to 12 months old.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: new rev accounts on FICO...and student loans, too

23 views and nobody knows?
Message 2 of 3
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: new rev accounts on FICO...and student loans, too

Joe77 wrote:
Just got a new $750 HSBC card.  Scores are upper 500s.  My biggest negatives are a BK and high utils, the high util will be paid down over the next couple months.

Main questions are:

-Conventional wisdom here says a credit card isn't really "counted" for six months.  With less than 6 months reporting, does it have no effect?  As far as utilization %, pay history, etc?

-I have 5 deferred student loans.  Is that good, bad, or indifferent?  They're from 2 to 12 months old.

1.) usually a new CC will lower scores for the first 6-12 month after they are opened and much of this has to do with the lack of payment history, lack of revolving experience (to a lesser degree if you have other cards) and average-age of your CCs. Util, however, has an immediate impact on your scores and this can be good or bad...you know high util bad, low util very good. If your util is good to begin with, the new CC and its CL will only help.

2.) I have never heard of deferred student loans adversely effecting FICO scores.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.