Regular Contributor
Joe77

new rev accounts on FICO...and student loans, too

Just got a new $750 HSBC card.  Scores are upper 500s.  My biggest negatives are a BK and high utils, the high util will be paid down over the next couple months.

Main questions are:

-Conventional wisdom here says a credit card isn't really "counted" for six months.  With less than 6 months reporting, does it have no effect?  As far as utilization %, pay history, etc?

-I have 5 deferred student loans.  Is that good, bad, or indifferent?  They're from 2 to 12 months old.
From BK to 700 FICOs in 4.5 yrs.
Regular Contributor
Joe77

Re: new rev accounts on FICO...and student loans, too

23 views and nobody knows?
From BK to 700 FICOs in 4.5 yrs.
Moderator Emeritus
fused

Re: new rev accounts on FICO...and student loans, too

Joe77 wrote:
Just got a new $750 HSBC card.  Scores are upper 500s.  My biggest negatives are a BK and high utils, the high util will be paid down over the next couple months.

Main questions are:

-Conventional wisdom here says a credit card isn't really "counted" for six months.  With less than 6 months reporting, does it have no effect?  As far as utilization %, pay history, etc?

-I have 5 deferred student loans.  Is that good, bad, or indifferent?  They're from 2 to 12 months old.

1.) usually a new CC will lower scores for the first 6-12 month after they are opened and much of this has to do with the lack of payment history, lack of revolving experience (to a lesser degree if you have other cards) and average-age of your CCs. Util, however, has an immediate impact on your scores and this can be good or bad...you know high util bad, low util very good. If your util is good to begin with, the new CC and its CL will only help.

2.) I have never heard of deferred student loans adversely effecting FICO scores.
Credit Cards:
Amex BCP 25K ~ Amex Clear 25K ~ Amex Platinum NPSL ~ Chase Freedom Visa 19.3K ~ CITI Dividend World Mastercard 20.3K ~ FIA Fidelity Investments Platinum Plus Visa 40K ~ First Hawaiian Bank Gold Visa 10K

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+