Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new to credit. how to keep score high?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

new to credit. how to keep score high?

I got my first credit card and an installment loan a couple months ago. Before I had no score, but now my EQ FICO is 762. Is this enough to get me a mortgage loan? Should I look at another report before applying? I'd like to buy a house as soon as possible. Is it even worth applying for a mortgage right now?

And how should I handle my credit card? Should I pay the balance off every month or leave a small balance every month and pay interest? The credit line is 1000.00 and for a while, I was paying all my purchases off right away as soon as a purchase posted to my account (I'm a little paranoid about my credit history now), but I've been convinced to pay the balance every month rather than everday. What will help keep my score high?

As for the installment loan, I have it for 3 years and I was planning to pay it off in a few months, but reading through this site, it seems I should keep the balance longer. The loan is at about 50%. Should I bring it down to 30% and pay the minimums for the next 3 years or is it okay to pay it off sooner?

Lastly, I received a pre-approved offer for a secured credit card from the same bank as my traditional credit card (Navy Federal). Should I accept this to help my credit history or ignore it?

Thanks for your time!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: new to credit. how to keep score high?

Welcome to the forum.  PIF each month and never revolve a balance.  On your installment loan, PIF as soon as you can since the TL  will stay on your CR for at least 10 years.

I would speak with a good loan officer on the mortgage.  Look at a CU.

Dont get the secured CC card, you dont need it.  If you are not going to apply for a mortgage, look at a good store card like Sams or Walmart or a gas card.  Avoid Amex, BofA, Citi, Chase.  You can build a great history with what you have and perhaps adding a store and or gas card.  Interest rates suck but you will PIF so its a mute point.

Sams card is very usefull.  I also like my Chevron card.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 2 of 5
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Like Marty said forget any secured card. You have received the maximum benefit from your car loan already but it is dangerous to assume once paid off it will remain on ALL your reports for ten years. Equifax has been deleting closed accounts very early for some people. Your DTI will look better if you pay off the car but make sure it doesn't deplete your cash reserves if you pay it off. You might see a score jump if you can get the loan balance of your car down under 50% of the original balance. Don't expect much though. Good luck. Don't apply for any credit if you anticipate obtaining a mortgage in the near future.
Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A 760 FICO score will get immediate consideration from any mortgage lendor.

Dont pay off the installment loan for any FICO reasons.  Do that only to reduce further interest on the loan. It will have minimal FICO impact.  Put the bucks into your revolving % util paydown, if increasing your FICO is your primary focus, in quest of a mortgage loan.

Dont apply for any new cards, unless you need them for purposes other than FICO scoring. 

The bottom line in paying your monthly CCs to any level of % util is that it doesnt matter one hoot until about two months before your app for that coveted mortgage.  % util, once updated, has no historical impact on your score.

Message 4 of 5
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Welcome to the forums!

I want to gently disagree with some of the other posts both in terms of long-range scoring and in preparing for a mortgage app. And the tactics for these two scenarios can be almost opposite, so be sure to understand the difference!

First of all, the most important thing is to always be timely on your payments. Never charge anything that you don't have cash in the bank to cover, so that you could pay it off online tomorrow if you had to. Think of CC's as just a handy way to pay your bills in full once a month. You don't want to get into the debt mindset!

Long-range, your best bet to keep scores high is to have maybe two more cards, one bank card and one retail card. (Retail cards are from a store or gas company, and they don't have Visa/ MC/ Discover/ AmEx on them.) Have all three backed by different banks. Probably one of the two bank cards should actually be from a credit union (CU.)

Your auto loan helps your credit mix as long as it's open. Once it's paid off, it stays on your records for 10 years (or until EQ gets tired of it), helping your history, but it no longer helps your credit mix, and your scores can drop.

So all that above is for general purposes. For mortgage hunting, don't apply for new credit right away, unless your lender advises you to. Generally, they don't want to see new apps before going for a mortgage, but your credit file sounds thin (few accounts reporting) and short (hasn't been going for long), and they might want to see more of a track record. If they do recommend that you establish more of a credit history first, your scores should not go down for the next two revolving credit tradelines (CC's), because the FICO scoring formula "likes" to see 3 or so open revolving lines. I'll bet that if you went to the simulator page on your FICO EQ report, it would project a score increase for opening another account.

I would definitely not pay off the auto loan completely --again, I think that a lender is going to want to see a string of months of perfect payment history on various credit accounts --the track record thing. You can pay down a chunk of it, if that makes sense financially; just make sure that you leave enough of a balance to have at least a year's worth of payments.

By the way, this is an example of how what's good for credit isn't necessarily good for finances. But if you're going for a mortgage, this could be important.

Usually for mortgage apps, all three of your FICO scores and reports are pulled. You have your EQ FICO score, which is a great score. You can buy your TU score here, but it's TU98, and many lenders are pulling TU04, which could be higher or lower. You can't buy your EX FICO any more, as of Feb 13 per Experian's decision Smiley Mad, so you'll just have to find it out at app time. But with this little credit history, I don't think they're going to vary too widely.

So anyway, there's short-term strategy (mortgage hunting) and long-term strategy (keeping and expanding on the great credit you already have.) For the short term, I agree --ask realtors for some recommendations for mortgage lenders and interview them. Don't let them pull your credit yet, though. You want to do your mortgage apps all at once. For the long term, you might want to read the FICO High Achievers thread. There's a lot to be said for those new to credit modeling their behavior on the scoring feedback that we've collected from members' FICO score reports.

And if you haven't already, please read Understanding Your FICO ® Score and Credit Scoring 101 (at least the first post.)

These will give you the background knowledge you need to understand what you read here on the forums.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.