Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

no 6 point drop due to an inquiry

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

no 6 point drop due to an inquiry

But I have not applied for a card from Bank One. Possible identity theft?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: no 6 point drop due to an inquiry

jhoppe3 wrote:
But I have not applied for a card from Bank One. Possible identity theft?

Bank One was bought by Chase in 2004.  Have you applied for anything from them?  Even a checking or savings account might have done it.

Message Edited by cheddar on 06-17-2008 11:15 AM
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Finding the true source of an inquiry can be difficult. Now, if you suddenly have a new account that you didn't apply for, that's when the ID theft balloon goes up.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

no I currently already have a Chase Visa card
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is possible that the division of Chase that manages your card is formerly Bank One's credit department and that they are still coded that way when they do a pull on your credit. Did you apply for a credit limit increase? Was it a hard or a soft pull? (It is a hard if you see it on a report pulled by myfico, but on a report directly from the bureau you can see your soft pulls)
Message 5 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Since the law realizes that the consumer cannot always track down the source of info reported to a CRA, Section 611 of the FCRA instructs you to dispute this directly with the CRAs.  They have specific investigation requirements and timeliines to do this.  Send a letter to each CRA and dispute under Section 611 of the FCRA.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Even better, your credit report lists contact information for everyone who has pulled an inquiry.  Call them.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.