dhb1313

(not) understanding this "hurting" item

Can anyone help me make sense of this?

As long as I can remember, I've gotten this as a "hurting your credit score" item:

"You have a short credit history."

Then Suze's Platinum kit provides these details:

Your oldest account was opened
39 Years, 9 Months ago

FICO High Achievers opened their oldest account 19 years ago, on average.

Average age of your accounts
7 years

Most FICO High Achievers have an average age of accounts between 6 and 12 years.

what's up with that?

Deb

Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup

Re: (not) understanding this "hurting" item

My guess would be that the formula thinks that for someone with such a long overall history, your AAoA ought to be higher.

I get the same thing: 19y 10m for longest, but something like 4y 10m AAoA. It doesn't like having my history so weighted toward the new stuff.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
dhb1313

Re: (not) understanding this "hurting" item

Thanks for the reply, Hauling.  My scores are just below 680, meaning every crazy formula thing really makes a difference.  Could I possibly be better off removing the ancient account -- an AmEx account my parents put me on as an authorized user when i was 13 or something for emergencies -- from the TransUnion account?  

Do i even have the option of removing an account in good standing from my account because their formula penalizes me for it?

oy vey! 

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}