Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nothing changed in credit report, FAKO dropped 24 points

tag
urbex
Established Member

nothing changed in credit report, FAKO dropped 24 points

I'm a little confused here.  I checked my score through Equifax last month on July 4th (07/04/12), and had a FAKO score of 598 (yes, I'm still working through some issues).  It was updated that day to reflect the current balance on my credit card (was checking it daily for about two weeks to see when the updates would hit).  Absolutely nothing has changed since then, still showing last month's balance.  Checked it today, and now I'm at 574.  I thought it might have been a fresh hard pull, but last one showing was done on 06/24/12.

I have one current credit card on the report (was 0 balance last balance last month, will be reporting a ~$30 balance this month, no lates), a closed credit card that was defaulted in 2009 and haven't touched since (will be paid off in a couple weeks) a student loan that I defaulted on in 2006 and haven't touched since (will be getting that paid off in full in a couple months), and one account in collections earlier this year (cell phone billing dispute..told the company where to go, and realized afterwards how stupid a move that was, lol...still deciding how to handle it).  

I got wrapped up in new job stuff this past month, and pretty much forgot about all this credit stuff this past month, so there has been zero activity on the reports as far as I can tell. 

Is there something else that could have caused such a drastic drop that I can't see online?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: nothing changed in credit report, FAKO dropped 24 points

I wouldn't worry about it.  Your FICO score could have very well gone up in the same time.  Trying to understand how FAKO scores work is not worth the effort IMO.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 7
sunshine7157
Regular Contributor

+1 . I use CK only to keep an eye on day-to-day activity & all things being the same this month (except a mortgage pymt reporting, my score went DOWN 17 points. Not the first time that has happened with the fake scores. Keep your eye on your FICO score. Nothing else really matters.

Message 3 of 7
urbex
Established Member

I knew the FAKO scores weren't accurate, per se, but I figured I could at least use it as an indicator of whether my FICO would be going up or down, in as much as if the FAKO went up, the FICO likely went up as well, and vice versa.  I didn't really care so much of how much it was going up or down, as my score (and report) is poor enough right now that I didn't plan on applying for anything credit wise any time soon, I just wanted to see that the score was going up as I made changes.  

Guess that didn't work out so well either, lol.  

Thanks though, I do feel better that it's not just me that's had this happen.  

Message 4 of 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

You really can't even correlate an increase or decrease in FAKO score with the same movement in FICO scores. They will quite often move in the opposite direction.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 7
urbex
Established Member

Fair enough, lol.  I'll work on getting my negatives cleared up, then start buying the reports to see the FICO score activity.  

Message 6 of 7
marty56
Super Contributor

@urbex wrote:

Fair enough, lol.  I'll work on getting my negatives cleared up, then start buying the reports to see the FICO score activity.  

The FAKO providers are usualy  cheaper to monitor your CRs.  You could use one of them to monitor your CR to track the negatives being removed , then you get get your TU and EQ FICO scores here.  That is what I did in my post DMP rebuilding phase.  During DMP I used ScoreWatch since I need to monitor short term FICO changes associated with paying down CC debt. 

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.