Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

odds on a dispute? what is considered?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

odds on a dispute? what is considered?

I have a certified mail delivery receipt where I mailed my service termination

The  cell company and CA says "there's no way to prove that's what was in the envelope"

(so they billed me for 4 more months)

I have THEIR copy of the contract where I never initialled the box where you initial agreeing to all the extra things they added to my contract after I signed it

The cell company and CA say that's just a formality and as long as I signed the top of the contract anything added underneath is "agreed too" even though there is a place to initial acknowledging you understand and agree to those things...... so the handwritten "2 year contract" note added after I signed counts even though I never agreed to it

do the CRAs evaluate those kinds of things or do they just look at the bill from the cell company that says $660.12 and say "good enough for us"?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: odds on a dispute? what is considered?

Yes the CRAs do.. however, you may have to eslcalate up to "special handling" or ask for a supervisor.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I sent this packet in registered mail and they got it about a week ago

How would I go about requesting special handling?

Or would it get a "real" review since it was sent in "hard copy" with a letter explaining what I disputed? (along with copies of the USPS delivery con and contract)

Thanks!

Message 3 of 8
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

What is the CRA(s) in question?
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was reported to all 3 CRA's so I sent the dispute to all three as well

TU and EQ wouldn't let me have my annual free CR online I'm assuming because they are investigating my dispute

I did get a copy of my Experian report (but not the score my bank told me it's 686 and was high 800+ last time they pulled it)

Experian also now says the CA is under investigation

I haven't recieved anything from them in the mail yet but it's only been 10 days

Message 5 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I see where Tuscani is coming from.  When you file a dispute with a CRA, they routinely dont send your supporting documentation and arguments to the OC when asking for "verifiation."  It is done through an automated system called "E-Oscar," which is basically just a two digit category of dispute code entered by a clerk at the CRA.  The CRA can enter a very short statement as an attachment, but this is only their paraphrase, and does not include your statement or documents.  That goes out to the OC, and of course, the OC just replies as "verified."

The CRAs will, in limited and special cases, forward to the OC more than just the inadequate E-Oscar coding of your dispute.  From what has been reported, they will usually do this if the request is from an attorney.  This is kicked up from the simple date entry clerk to a supervisor at the CRA.

If you want "special processing" of your dispute, I would do exactly what Tuscani recommends.  Call the CRA, ask to speak with a supervisor, and inform them that you dont think that the review you have received to date is in commpliance with the requirement of section 611(a)(2)(a) of the FCRA that the CRA provide "all relevant information regarding the dispute that the agency has received from the consumer...."

Message 6 of 8
valley_man0505
Established Contributor

Personally, my feeling on disputes lately is that if the CA wants to be on the report, they will not be deleted.  The only luck I have had with disputes lately were with very old CA's that probably were not even actively pursuing the account anymore or CA's that did a pfd with me and didn't delete as quick as I would have liked.  I have had other CA's that have absolutely no proof of anything (or, at least they refuse to send me any), but they still come back as verified.  I am getting the feeling that all a CA has to do when the CRA contacts them about a dispute is re-report what they already reported and that is enough the get the CRA to just take their word for it.  They don't seem to required to supply any proof whatsoever to the CRA.

This falls into the "don't try this at home" category, but here is the way I see things.  If a CA could somehow get a hold of someone's credit report (which they probably could given how easy non PP pulls seem to be for CA's to get away with), they could probably just look and say "hey, this person has a charge-off from Discover card--I am going to try to collect this".  Then, they could just use the account number and balance from the report and call report the account as theirs to the CRA's and they would just take their word for it.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Equifax deleted it

Trans Union verified it

Experian still hasn't notified me of the results

I called trans union and talked to the customer service rep and then to the supervisor

They both basically said

"we asked the creditor to verify and they verified, they're required to be truthful, so we report what they tell us, we can't ask them for proof or documentation and we can't pass on to you the basis of our decision other than they verified it"

so despite the fact that I have a certified post office delivery confirmation that's all irrelevant and all they have to do is press a "verified" button?

somebody please tell me there's another avenue to pursue this!!!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.