Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

open paid vs closed paid collections

tag
rhall2009
Contributor

open paid vs closed paid collections

Hi I was wondering how does an open collection affect a closed collection when It comes to your credit score and profile. I've disputed the accounts to only get verified. How can it be listed as a collection and paid but yet stay open?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: open paid vs closed paid collections

@rhall2009 wrote:
Hi I was wondering how does an open collection affect a closed collection when It comes to your credit score and profile. I've disputed the accounts to only get verified. How can it be listed as a collection and paid but yet stay open?

Am a little confused: under FICO 8 and earlier, paid (closed) and open collections affect scores identically; FICO 9 that changes but we're not there yet.  The problem is the act of paying a collection can reset the activity date, and make it look "new" to the algorithm.  Which sucks and should be fixed but I digress.  A paid collection is always better for an underwriter than an open one.

If there's a tradeline which you paid and is still listed with an open collection, would you mind posting the explicit reporting of it here and someone may be able to shed some light on it?

        
Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If the collection is paid and payment is considered to have satisfied the debt, that terminates any further collection autority, and requires the collection to then be closed.

Unless a very special circumstance, it is most likely a simply failure to have updated the status to closed.

Message 3 of 4
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Is the word Open in the account type? If so it is not referring to wether or not the accout is open or closed. The account type open is another account type like installlent and revolving. The open account type can be used inreference to charge cards like AMEX where the balance is due in full each month. The account type open is  refers to a single payment account IE balance due in full.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.