cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

paid off credit card and score goes down 5 points?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

paid off credit card and score goes down 5 points?

whats the deal with this? i pay my balance off when i use the CC but there was a balance when they reported . So i had a balnace last month and paid off this month and score dropped ? ugh 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: paid off credit card and score goes down 5 points?

Could be due to a rise in utilization %

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@User987094 wrote:

whats the deal with this? i pay my balance off when i use the CC but there was a balance when they reported . So i had a balnace last month and paid off this month and score dropped ? ugh 

If you went from the card reporting a statement balance last month to having no statement balance this month, and that's your only card, then going from 1-10% utilization to 0% utilization will drop your score. I know it sounds silly, but it's true.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't stress about 5 points, just keep using the card appropriately and it will help you in the long run.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had the same happen to me but it was two cards. Both cards went from showing a balance to having no balance the next month.  Lost 5 points. 

Message 5 of 7
elim
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@User987094 wrote:

If you went from the card reporting a statement balance last month to having no statement balance this month, and that's your only card, then going from 1-10% utilization to 0% utilization will drop your score. I know it sounds silly, but it's true.

This ^

A small balance on 1 card is worth more points (in Fico's eyes) than all cards reporting 0.  Strange, but true.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Losing 5 points for reporting all zero balances is actually a quite tame penalty.  Often people lose in the 15-20 point range for this, which is quickly gained back as soon as one card reports a small balance.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.