Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

paying down credit card debt

tag
noobafterbk
Contributor

paying down credit card debt

so i.wanted to see if there is any benefit from paying down a single cc util from 40% to 20% in one payment or is multiple smaller payments seen by fico as more beneficial activity

$1000 paid is one lump sum prior to next statement cut

$1000 paid in 5 x $200 prior to next statement cut

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: paying down credit card debt

I don't think it really matters. Not certain though.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

It makes no difference to FICO.
Message 3 of 8
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@noobafterbk wrote:
so i.wanted to see if there is any benefit from paying down a single cc util from 40% to 20% in one payment or is multiple smaller payments seen by fico as more beneficial activity

FICO scoring will not be different.

However lenders on seeing your credit report will be able to see a large payment ($1,000) in the first case vs. a small payment ($200) in the latter. Doesn't matter because you're paying before statement cut but otherwise I've had analysts ask me why I make small payments.

Also, some banks put a limit on the number of payments you can make through their system per month. If you hit that barrier, you will have to use your checking account's bill pay system to push payment to the credit card.

Message 4 of 8
AeroKrix
Frequent Contributor

@noobafterbk wrote:

Both methods are equal. There's a section on your report that has "actual payments" that lists all of your combined payments for that statement cycle. There is no mention of "number of payments"

Current 09/01/2021 EQ - 515 FAKO ; EX - 591 FICO ; TU - 598 FICO

Venmo CC $5.0K || Paypal Cashback CC $2.0K || Walmart CC $3.0K || CapOne QS1 $700 || CapOne QS $800 || Mission Lane $1.5K || Merrick $1.0K || AMEX Optima $500
Message 5 of 8
noobafterbk
Contributor

thank you for all of the excellent info
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for this information! Much appreacited! I just joined tonight and look forward to building my credit with the community! 

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for this information! Much appreacited! I just joined tonight and look forward to building my credit with the community! 

@Anonymous,

Welcome to the forum.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.