Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

penalized for not having installment loan? what does this mean

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: penalized for not having installment loan? what does this mean

This is MADDENING.  I was fortunate to pay for my home in cash, so no mortgage history.  I also paid off my car loan early as well.  I mean, regardless of how much or how little why pay interest????  I would like to be rewarded for being debt free, but the formula clearly does not.

My most recent myFICO checkup yesterday showed "flags" (<-- for lack of better words) for not having installment loans or any type.  When I have had installment loans they were always on time, no lates, and each month paid more than the payment required.

Message 201 of 211
HiLine
Blogger

@Anonymous wrote:

This is MADDENING.  I was fortunate to pay for my home in cash, so no mortgage history.  I also paid off my car loan early as well.  I mean, regardless of how much or how little why pay interest????  I would like to be rewarded for being debt free, but the formula clearly does not.

My most recent myFICO checkup yesterday showed "flags" (<-- for lack of better words) for not having installment loans or any type.  When I have had installment loans they were always on time, no lates, and each month paid more than the payment required.

To be fair, when you were paying these you got a score boost. When you stop paying, the score boost is taken away.

Message 202 of 211
lord_kinbote
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Love it or hate it - It's the way the game is played.  Mix of credit is only 10% of your score, so the impact should not be "maddening".  Take a look at below URL for more specifics;

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

I don't have a car loan and my mortagage was paid off almost 8 years ago.  I added a share secured loan via Alliant CU for a 4 year period (SP to join/open loan) - that will end up costing me about 40-50 dollars over 4 years.  So IMO, well worth the expense to colllect the 10% off the table.

Message 203 of 211
Anonymous
Not applicable

@akula wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Love it or hate it - It's the way the game is played.  Mix of credit is only 10% of your score, so the impact should not be "maddening".  Take a look at below URL for more specifics;

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

I don't have a car loan and my mortagage was paid off almost 8 years ago.  I added a share secured loan via Alliant CU for a 4 year period (SP to join/open loan) - that will end up costing me about 40-50 dollars over 4 years.  So IMO, well worth the expense to colllect the 10% off the table.

My wording was a bit strong on maddening, but thank you.  I know it is "how the FICO game is played", and I even get it for the most part, I just have always had a goal of truly debt free life and having total ownership of all assets.  Thank you for the Alliant CU mention and going to look into that.

Message 204 of 211
jamie123
Valued Contributor

Just to bring up a point that hasn't been mentioned here in a while...

If you don't have any installment loan history on your reports it can be difficult to be approved for an auto loan or mortgage at the best rates no matter what your scores are. Having a shared secured loan boosts your SCORES and HISTORY.

That's why it pops up as a negative indicator if you don't have installment loan history on your reports. LENDERS WANT TO SEE INSTALLMENT LOAN HISTORY.

Now, I get that a $500 shared secured loan is kinda cheating the system a bit, but it is the most cost effective method to get and keep an installment loan on your reports..

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 205 of 211
pdxmike
Regular Contributor

@Revelate wrote:
I've never heard the term refunding: I get what the loan agent was attempting to state, but I've never heard of a lender doing that as it sounds like some funky secured LOC rather than installment loan.

Some searching leads me to believe that this is more commonly called renewing a loan, or a loan renewal. So if you're at a CU that won't do a small loan for a long term, ask if there's an option to renew a shorter-term loan near its maturity date to keep the tradeline active, and if there's a limit to the renewals. Also, make sure the CU will report the loan to all three bureaus. Some CUs have cards that report to all three, but their loans report to one or none.

Message 206 of 211
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@jamie123 wrote:

If you don't have any installment loan history on your reports it can be difficult to be approved for an auto loan or mortgage at the best rates no matter what your scores are. Having a shared secured loan boosts your SCORES and HISTORY.

That's why it pops up as a negative indicator if you don't have installment loan history on your reports. LENDERS WANT TO SEE INSTALLMENT LOAN HISTORY.

Now, I get that a $500 shared secured loan is kinda cheating the system a bit, but it is the most cost effective method to get and keep an installment loan on your reports..

That makes sense. 

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 207 of 211
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@mitchblue wrote:

@jamie123 wrote:

That makes sense. 

And with CU rates so low on secured loans, makes TONS more sense to finance some purchases (or pay down balances) using a secured loan (if you have the savings).  The rates are akin to the best mortgage or auto score rates, if not lower.  Better than heloc or borrowing against retirement.

Signature needs updating
Message 208 of 211
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@mitchblue wrote:

@jamie123 wrote:

That makes sense. 

And with CU rates so low on secured loans, makes TONS more sense to finance some purchases (or pay down balances) using a secured loan (if you have the savings).  The rates are akin to the best mortgage or auto score rates, if not lower.  Better than heloc or borrowing against retirement.

I'm curious does a secured loan/personal loan count less than say a auto loan or mortgage? Thanks.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 209 of 211
Ubuntu
Regular Contributor

@mitchblue wrote:

I'm curious does a secured loan/personal loan count less than say a auto loan or mortgage? Thanks.

Possibly but it will depend on what you're applying for. Certain industries have separate scoring systems that apply specifically to their industry. Auto lenders value previous auto loans and leases very highly when reviewing your report. Mortgage lenders also give great weight to those who have or have had a mortgage. These factors are more likely to affect lenders decision's than they will affect your FICO score.

The affect of a new loan can vary quite a bit depending on the age, thickness, and specific content of your report.

In general a mortgage loan is probably the single most positive item for a credit report because it displays your ability to obtain and manage a large loan over a long period.

That said any car or personal loan is definitley a benefit to your score. I don't know whether there is any difference between a secured and unsecured personal loan. There shouldn't be one, or much of one, because auto and mortgage loans are also technically secured loans but someone else may have better information on that.

One other thing to note just for the record is that many people who have auto or other installment loans tend to see their scores drop when the loans are paid off even though the loans still appear on your report. I would guess that has something to do wth statistics but can't be certain of that.

Message 210 of 211
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.