Reply
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 12,492
Registered: ‎12-30-2011
0

Re: penalized for not having installment loan? what does this mean


JCSC wrote:
I would not agree with getting a secured installment loan. I have one and it reports as "deposit related" and almost looks as if it counts negatively against my score. The comment of not having an installment loan is also present in my report.

Who is it from?  Both mine from USAA and Alliant report correctly as installment loans.

 

It's been established over and over again that secured vs. unsecured makes no difference on tradelines (and that has been verified by a FICO credit expert); however, if yours is not reporting "correctly" as an installment loan then YMMV.  

Starting Score: EQ 04 561, TU 98 567, EX 98 599 (12/30/11)
Current Score: EQ 04 700, TU 04 731, EX 98 725 (05/24/15)
Goal Score: 700 on EQ 04 (01/01/16)


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 404
Registered: ‎02-27-2013
0

Re: penalized for not having installment loan? what does this mean

[ Edited ]

Revelate wrote:

JCSC wrote:
I would not agree with getting a secured installment loan. I have one and it reports as "deposit related" and almost looks as if it counts negatively against my score. The comment of not having an installment loan is also present in my report.

Who is it from?  Both mine from USAA and Alliant report correctly as installment loans.

 

It's been established over and over again that secured vs. unsecured makes no difference on tradelines (and that has been verified by a FICO credit expert); however, if yours is not reporting "correctly" as an installment loan then YMMV.  


why two?

 

edit: I can see this being used to overlap the times. Since when one 5 year loan expires your score may drop a bit, the other could be a 5 year loan started at year 3 and overlap the other one's ending, keeping your score high while you start a different loan again from the first institution

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 404
Registered: ‎02-27-2013
0

Re: penalized for not having installment loan? what does this mean

[ Edited ]

@jamie123 , @Revelate

 

Okay I'm all set up with Alliant

 

1) How do I initiate an Electronic/ACH transfer of funds into that savings account?

 

I can't find the routing number, do you know it

 

 

2) Why was your deposit and loan worth $500 ?  is this an arbitrary sum or is that the minimum deposit or ...?

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 404
Registered: ‎02-27-2013
0

Re: penalized for not having installment loan? what does this mean

[ Edited ]

okay I called and got the answer to both of those questions: routing number is 271081528 and $500 is the minimum 

 

 

btw, the donation seems to be more so procedural and not actually verified (maybe it is later, but I have my doubts)

Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 12,492
Registered: ‎12-30-2011
0

Re: penalized for not having installment loan? what does this mean

Anecdotally it appears that 2 open installment lines was better than one scorewise.  That was "verified" under the older scoring model and I know that I got straight boosts to my FICO '04 score when both my first and second credit card reported, and also my first and second installment loans.  Granted I only had monthly checking at that point but everything was so new in my file it's not like I hit six month anniversaries or any other purported bonus points, and nowhere close to the amount I gained from inquiries fading slightly in the intervening period.

 

Regarding your plan, I don't overlap like that: I open new accounts before the others run out... but I'm a spree proponent and I just include the loans as part of my applications.  $500 because it was the minimum, no sense wasting more interest in FICO reindeer games than necessary.

 

Starting Score: EQ 04 561, TU 98 567, EX 98 599 (12/30/11)
Current Score: EQ 04 700, TU 04 731, EX 98 725 (05/24/15)
Goal Score: 700 on EQ 04 (01/01/16)


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 404
Registered: ‎02-27-2013
0

Re: penalized for not having installment loan? what does this mean

[ Edited ]

Revelate wrote:

Anecdotally it appears that 2 open installment lines was better than one scorewise.  That was "verified" under the older scoring model and I know that I got straight boosts to my FICO '04 score when both my first and second credit card reported, and also my first and second installment loans.  Granted I only had monthly checking at that point but everything was so new in my file it's not like I hit six month anniversaries or any other purported bonus points, and nowhere close to the amount I gained from inquiries fading slightly in the intervening period.

 

Regarding your plan, I don't overlap like that: I open new accounts before the others run out... but I'm a spree proponent and I just include the loans as part of my applications.  $500 because it was the minimum, no sense wasting more interest in FICO reindeer games than necessary.

 


ah hmm, alright, a bit of a risk since I don't know how FICO 08 weighting works in this regard but since some lenders still use FICO 04 and others use Vantage Score I'm sure it'll have some effect, I'll stick with 1 loan and see what happens

 

With my other scores naturally trending upwards without an installment loan, maybe I'll set a goal of 750 or 780 and see how close I get

 

haha I had to look that up, reindeer games accurately describes what all of this is! its so funny that any of this gives such a massive advantage in appropriating goods and resources in this world... even if you get too much and go bankrupt that doesn't change the experiences you had with all those free points and miles along the way

Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,236
Registered: ‎03-22-2012
0

Re: penalized for not having installment loan? what does this mean


gen-specific wrote:

Revelate wrote:

Anecdotally it appears that 2 open installment lines was better than one scorewise.  That was "verified" under the older scoring model and I know that I got straight boosts to my FICO '04 score when both my first and second credit card reported, and also my first and second installment loans.  Granted I only had monthly checking at that point but everything was so new in my file it's not like I hit six month anniversaries or any other purported bonus points, and nowhere close to the amount I gained from inquiries fading slightly in the intervening period.

 

Regarding your plan, I don't overlap like that: I open new accounts before the others run out... but I'm a spree proponent and I just include the loans as part of my applications.  $500 because it was the minimum, no sense wasting more interest in FICO reindeer games than necessary.

 


ah hmm, alright, a bit of a risk since I don't know how FICO 08 weighting works in this regard but since some lenders still use FICO 04 and others use Vantage Score I'm sure it'll have some effect, I'll stick with 1 loan and see what happens

 

With my other scores naturally trending upwards without an installment loan, maybe I'll set a goal of 750 or 780 and see how close I get

 

haha I had to look that up, reindeer games accurately describes what all of this is! its so funny that any of this gives such a massive advantage in appropriating goods and resources in this world... even if you get too much and go bankrupt that doesn't change the experiences you had with all those free points and miles along the way


Having an installment loan will help you in other FICO scoring models that we consumers can't see and also in manual reviews.

 

Auto loan lenders use an Auto loan weighted FICO model that is different than FICO 04 and FICO 08. You might walk in a dealership with your FICO 04 720 score and find out that your FICO Beacon score is only 690! You just missed out on better terms because your score is not good enough to get better terms in their eyes/model. The Auto loan model likes to see installment loan history and if you don't have it your scores will take a beating.



Starting Score: EQ 658 6/18/12
Current Score: EQ 705 6/21/15 - EX 783 6/21/15 - TU 707 6/21/15
Goal Score: EQ 720+
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,700
Registered: ‎01-05-2010
0

Re: penalized for not having installment loan? what does this mean


myjourney wrote:

 

I wouldn't worry about it the installment/motgage/auto loans only accounts for 10% of Fico scoring which leaves 90% other factors that affect you more 


 

Both the mortgage loan and the auto installment loan of my household will soon close. I don't lose any sleep over it.

When that is said, I don't think an installment is beneficial, unless you're past the first year and have paid off most.

 

Never underestimate the power of denial
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 12,492
Registered: ‎12-30-2011
0

Re: penalized for not having installment loan? what does this mean


my-own-fico wrote:

myjourney wrote:

 

I wouldn't worry about it the installment/motgage/auto loans only accounts for 10% of Fico scoring which leaves 90% other factors that affect you more 


 

Both the mortgage loan and the auto installment loan of my household will soon close. I don't lose any sleep over it.

When that is said, I don't think an installment is beneficial, unless you're past the first year and have paid off most.

 


I almost never disagree with you, but in this instance your situation isn't most people's here my friend:

  • you have a gold plated credit score anyway
  • you already have installment loans on your report

An installment loan is definitely beneficial if you don't have any on your report: that's unarguable in my opinion with how the model is designed.

 

It is somewhat debateable whether you need an open installment loan on your report, but it's been shown repeatedly that not having 2 open was a small negative on FICO '04 (and might be higher on FICO 8 as we've seen with revolving), which is irrelevant at your score strata, but when you're me fighting tooth and nail to get above 700 on a mortgage score with derogatories capping my maximum score by landing me in one of the ugly buckets, a few points might be the difference between a 20 and 30% downpayment, and given So Cal housing prices.... that could be an additional 100k I have to come up with on average.  Yuck.

Starting Score: EQ 04 561, TU 98 567, EX 98 599 (12/30/11)
Current Score: EQ 04 700, TU 04 731, EX 98 725 (05/24/15)
Goal Score: 700 on EQ 04 (01/01/16)


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 423
Registered: ‎10-25-2010
0

Re: penalized for not having installment loan? what does this mean

My score currently is 798 on both EQ 08, and EX, and 792 on TU.

 

My scores break 800 all the time without any installment loans. Under the "Understanding Your Score" tab it says that "no installment loans" is hurting my score. This is on both EQ and EX reports.

 

But you know what, who cares? My scores are high enough without one. Even if my score went up to 850 with a loan, how's that gonna help me? It's not.

 

So unless you're ready to buy a home, and the extra points would really help lower your rate, i think it's kinda pointless to do.  Also, ultimately, you really can't say for certain what taking a loan, regardless how small would do for your score. Depending on what else FICO is reading in your file, it may hurt it. 


Starting Score: 600s
Current Score: EQ 08 798 on 5/28/14, TU 792 on 5/27/4 via Barclay, EX 798 on 5/28/14
Goal Score: 760


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

.
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.