rb6p

possible to re-activate closed credit card account?

Several years ago, I made the mistake of closing my oldest credit card. I now have learned that I should have kept it open even if I never used it in order to increase the age of my credit history. Is it possible to re-open the credit line by calling the creditor? If I did so, would the "date opened" field on my credit reports be the original date or the re-open date?
Contributor
cinoeye

Re: possible to re-activate closed credit card account?

I think somebody asked the same question, but can not rememember who :smileysad:  >SEARCH
3rd325

I used to work for a large credit card company in their retention dept, my job was to keep customers from closing their accounts and make adjustments to accounts. Usually you can reopen an account if it has only been closed for 60-90 days. Each lender has it's own policy, however, most will reopen an account with in 60-90 days as long as it was in good standing at the time it was closed.
Contributor
cinoeye

Senior Contributor
ilovepizza

90 days max usually.
If we never set higher goals we would never get as far.
sol, credit 101, acr, abbreviations, calc
rb6p

thanks!

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}