Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question about dispute inquiry

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

question about dispute inquiry

I have a question about a dispute I did on my credit report.  There is an entry from Capital One on my credit report that says I had a credit limit of 200 dollars with an open date of 4/2005.  I don't recall ever having opened this account and would think with such a small amount that I would have paid it off -- but that's been 5 yrs ago so who knows.  However, it shows on my credit report that it was charged off in Nov 2006 with a balance of $862 and then another balance of $1,693.  I sent in a dispute to the credit agencies about this back in November after having received no response from Capital one.  I just checked my credit report again and it's still there and now in the date reported spot it has a date of 02/2010.  Does this mean that Capital One re-aged my account?  Not sure if I'm reading this correct or not but that's how it looks to me. Does anyone have any insight to this and if I'm correct what do I do to fix this. Thank you in advance for any help you can give.   

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: question about dispute inquiry

Hi ginurse! Welcome to the myFICO forums. Smiley Happy

ginurse wrote:

I have a question about a dispute I did on my credit report.  There is an entry from Capital One on my credit report that says I had a credit limit of 200 dollars with an open date of 4/2005.  I don't recall ever having opened this account and would think with such a small amount that I would have paid it off -- but that's been 5 yrs ago so who knows.  However, it shows on my credit report that it was charged off in Nov 2006 with a balance of $862 and then another balance of $1,693.  I sent in a dispute to the credit agencies about this back in November after having received no response from Capital one.  I just checked my credit report again and it's still there and now in the date reported spot it has a date of 02/2010.  Does this mean that Capital One re-aged my account?  Not sure if I'm reading this correct or not but that's how it looks to me. Does anyone have any insight to this and if I'm correct what do I do to fix this. Thank you in advance for any help you can give.   

If that CapitalOne account is not yours, please read the FTC Identity Theft primer.

Message 2 of 8
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi ginurse...no..."date reported" doesn't have anything to do with how old the account is or when it will fall off of your reports. If you pull a credit report directly from one of the credit agencies, you will see a date of first delinquency (DOFD). That is actually the "age" of your account. That means that the charge off can only stay on your reports for up to 7 1/2 years from that date. You won't see this date on reports pulled from 3rd party vendors such as myFICO or credit monitoring sites. If you haven't pulled your 3 free reports from annualcreditreport.com, you can get a direct report there.

Is this account still within the statute of limitations in your state? What are you hoping to do here?

If this is not your account, you need to check into how to report it as fraud.

Message 3 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you have any item of information in your CR that you dispute, you should file a lettter of dispute addressed to the CRA, not the creditor.

Clearly identify it is a dispute under FCRA 611(a).  Dont call it an inquiry.

That compels the CRA to do the investigation, and report back to you the results, or to delete the reproting of the disputed information, within 30-days of the date of your letter of dispute under FCRA 611(a).

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your responses.  I live in Texas and no the SOL in up on this account.   I am trying to improve my credit and this is not due to fall off my report for 2 more years.  I know this is bringing my score down alot and was just concerned that that meant that they had re-aged the account. I did pull my report and am concerned because it shows CO and then there are months that it shows OK then CO again.  To me this appears that they are reporting I made a payment when I am 1000% sure I did not.  I'd like to get this off my credit report but have a big problem paying 1600 bucks when it says I only had a 200 dollar credit limit.  Not sure what to do, especially when I know if I even offer a partial that they probably won't delete and it will just show paid after collections which won't help much anyway.  Any suggetions? 

Message 5 of 8
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

If you are sure this is past SOL, then you may want to offer a pay for delete. That's the way to get it off your report earlier than when it dies of old age.
Message 6 of 8
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Have you talked to Capital One regardingthe account?  Tell them you do not remember ever opening the account in the first place. Can they provide you with some documentation on this account when it was opened. The information I would be looking for is the name, address and the last four of the ssn used on the credit application.  This might assist solving this problem. 
FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash+ 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 C State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Quorum FCU State Department FCU State Department FCU Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 7 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you disputed the Crap ! posting with the CRAs under FCRA 611(a), they (the CRA) had a statutory obligation to report the results of their investigation of the dispute back to you within 30-days of your letter of dispute.

What specifically did you dispute?  The OC monthly delinquencies? The charge off?  Both? These are separate items of information in your CR.

You dispute items of information in your CR, not accounts.

Can you post a copy of what you sent to the CRA?

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.