Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"There's been a change in your FICO® Score,..."

tag
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

"There's been a change in your FICO® Score,..."

We are on the initial sign up perk of no interest for 1 yr on Barclays SMWMC which ends in a few months. Because we had a couple of "lifes little curve balls" ie; dog is sick, car is sick, house is sick, we amassed about $3.5K on the card. Not a big deal 25% of CL, but to drag it out a little further, I had the wife apply individually for Chase slate. She was instantly approved for $7K and the debt to Barclays was moved to Slate. Transfer went through fine last week and all is good.

Today I got an email from Barclays with the subject line of this thread. I log on, thinking my debt load just decreased a chunk and my score must of shot up. I was a little dismayed to see my score sank 8 points. I can't see her score anywhere for free, but I expected my wifes FICO to drop some as she just got 50% utilization on her new card. Why did mine go down? I was paying $300-$400/mo on the SM before the transfer. Is any balance transfer looked upon as a negative even if it improved my overall utilization? Again, my name isn't attached to her Slate card. Eight points is nothing, just curious as to why the negative hit.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: "There's been a change in your FICO® Score,..."

Never did a transfer.  So not sure.  I'll let the pros handle this.  Hows your utilization?   if zero, it will go down.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Turbobuick wrote:

We are on the initial sign up perk of no interest for 1 yr on Barclays SMWMC which ends in a few months. Because we had a couple of "lifes little curve balls" ie; dog is sick, car is sick, house is sick, we amassed about $3.5K on the card. Not a big deal 25% of CL, but to drag it out a little further, I had the wife apply individually for Chase slate. She was instantly approved for $7K and the debt to Barclays was moved to Slate. Transfer went through fine last week and all is good.

Today I got an email from Barclays with the subject line of this thread. I log on, thinking my debt load just decreased a chunk and my score must of shot up. I was a little dismayed to see my score sank 8 points. I can't see her score anywhere for free, but I expected my wifes FICO to drop some as she just got 50% utilization on her new card. Why did mine go down? I was paying $300-$400/mo on the SM before the transfer. Is any balance transfer looked upon as a negative even if it improved my overall utilization? Again, my name isn't attached to her Slate card. Eight points is nothing, just curious as to why the negative hit.

How did you get 0% for 12mos on SM?

Message 3 of 12
barthooper
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Turbobuick wrote:

I got 0%/12 months on SM as well. Got it last May.and it's about to run out. I don't believe it was in the terms when apping but just ended up happening.

Quicksilver - 16k | Discover It - 34k | Citi DC - $21k | Chase Amazon - 8k | Chase Reserve - 19.5k | Chase Preferred - 5k | EX FICO (Discover CSC) 788
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm.

Nice deal then. I didn't get such cushy terms. Lol.
Message 5 of 12
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@barthooper wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Turbobuick wrote:

I got 0%/12 months on SM as well. Got it last May.and it's about to run out. I don't believe it was in the terms when apping but just ended up happening.

Probably can call in and see if that is available.

As to the OP's question, better handled here:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/bd-p/ficoscoring

Also,  check to see if all cards reporting 0 balance.

Signature needs updating
Message 6 of 12
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Turbobuick wrote:

LOL!  That's all you got after reading my whiney rant?  It came with the card along with $25 in rebate points for 1st swipe.

Message 7 of 12
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Turbobuick wrote:

Has your score been steady at 810 for a while? Is the 810 same as from MyFICO?  

Any other cards reporting balances?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 8 of 12
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

Has your score been steady at 810 for a while? Is the 810 same as from MyFICO?  

Any other cards reporting balances?

Actually, my score crept up to 812 recently before the hit today. Been paying down a small balance on Merrick at 6%, all the rest are paid in full monthly with statement. Nothing out of the ordinary except the transfer, hence it must factor in the cause. Went from approx 5% utilization to 2%.

I've always assumed Barclays fico is good as my score has been over 800 for a couple decades during home purchases and refi etc. I have never got my fico from myfico. lol

Message 9 of 12
NRB525
Super Contributor

Ok, so your view to your FICO scores are monthly, correct? You aren't getting alerts every few days about what is changing through MyFICO. If so, anything in the last month or more could be the major influence.

If scores have been rising, they may be at a short term plateau, and noise up and down is a possibility.

Edit: Because of the month gap, you need to list out the sequence of the last two months: Statement dates, January, Febuary, March, which are likely sent to the bureaus a few days later, timing of the new charges, which Barclays statement they showed up on, amounts on those Barclays statements, and what day exactly the BT out of your Barclays card showed up online for your Barclays account, and whether it showed up (and when) on the next Barclays printed statement. Forensic FICO analysis.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.