Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"high balance" and FICO 8

tag
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: "high balance" and FICO 8

@Revelate wrote:

Dude seriously Smiley Happy.  You are not correct in this based on everyone else's data to date.  I will keep cutting and pasting but please stop ignoring everyone else's data because an 850 on a FICO 8 does not a good testing platform make.  Or let a balance report on all your cards and see if you come off the 850, every single one.  Betcha it does and that's not what you did from your last test that I saw.

HistoricalScoreBal ReportedTotal TLsAgg. Util %Change
Equifax Beacon 9693290.4 
Equifax Beacon 9690391.3-3
Equifax Beacon 9690491.50
Equifax Beacon 9686591.6-4
Equifax Beacon 9703591.6N/A
Equifax Beacon 9707491.24

What are the datestamps on these readings?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 11 of 45
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@NRB525 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

Dude seriously Smiley Happy.  You are not correct in this based on everyone else's data to date.  I will keep cutting and pasting but please stop ignoring everyone else's data because an 850 on a FICO 8 does not a good testing platform make.  Or let a balance report on all your cards and see if you come off the 850, every single one.  Betcha it does and that's not what you did from your last test that I saw.

What are the datestamps on these readings?

Updated sheet from Scorewatch post FICO 8 conversion here: I'll take it further if people really want but I can assure everyone that this is legit as far as EQ FICO 8 (Beacon 9.0) is concerned.  I don't have my old Beacon 5.0 data anymore unfortunately, and no real interest in signing up for Equifax Scorewatch to recreate it as it was already beaten to death before.

HistoricalScoreBal ReportedTotal TLsAgg. Util %Change Date 
Equifax Beacon 9693290.4 5/13/14 
Equifax Beacon 9690391.3-35/15/14 
Equifax Beacon 9690491.505/16/14 
Equifax Beacon 9686591.6-45/22/14 
Equifax Beacon 9703591.6N/A5/25/14(Tax Lien withdrawn)
Equifax Beacon 9707491.245/31/14 

        
Message 12 of 45
NRB525
Super Contributor

Congrats on the tax lien withdrawal.

And I agree that letting a card come online with reporting will result in a score change.

One of the... opinions, uncertainties, questions... I still have though, is what happens when those 5 cards are allowed to continue reporting for a month, two months? Does the score get familiar with that new profile and recover the "shock" points from a card coming from zero to something?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 13 of 45
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@NRB525 wrote:

Congrats on the tax lien withdrawal.

And I agree that letting a card come online with reporting will result in a score change.

One of the... opinions, uncertainties, questions... I still have though, is what happens when those 5 cards are allowed to continue reporting for a month, two months? Does the score get familiar with that new profile and recover the "shock" points from a card coming from zero to something?

Not sure where this shock point bit is coming from: tradelines can go inactive as has been intimated previously, but it's because a lender doesn't report it for a period of time, not that suddenly it went from $0 to non-zero.  It's probably 6 months if I had to guess based on the requirements to generate a FICO score.

The only alert around this is a configurable one in the Scorewatch options.

For those suggesting that a pattern of revolving utilization is bucketable well, I sort of doubt it as there's hardly been any reports of that ever: I can only recall one where someone had high aggregate utilization, he paid it down to some small number, and didn't see a score jump till 4 months later, but never saw any real data on that.  Most people get a score change immediately.

As for it, I usually just let balances report where they may, and go from 3-5 cards regularly but when I get clean by reducing my cards with balances (in my case, 2/9 or 1/9 is optimal under Beacon 9) I get a score boost, and when I get laissez-faire about it, I walk back down the points as shown in my data.

The absolute value of those point movements have changed with time and my file, but it's still held drop a number of points, go back up same number of points at least when we're talking about aggregate utilization around the margins (1-2% in my case for pretty much most of my time).  

        
Message 14 of 45
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

Ah, the meaning of "high balance"

It's a descriptor for a field in an account entry but it can also be read that the word "high" is just an adjective modifying the noun "balance" while discussing the currently reporting balance  I'd bet that is the intended meaning.

Butressing this is the fact that people that have high usage often have very high "high balance" fields and creditors like to see this. It means people can use the CL and pay it off.

As an aside, Ive run up pretty large "high balances" and it's never had an adverse affect on FICO scores once the utilization was reduced to nominal levels.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 15 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello CnC.   If the choice of the word high was deliberate, it was a bad choice.  Note that omitting the word entirely conveys the same meaning: "if a credit report shows a balance close to the card's limit...."  A balance close to the card's limit is certainly one that is high.  But by using the name of a field that appears on the credit report ("high balance") they ended up saying something very different than they (presumably) wanted to convey.

It's a bit like using the phrase "new haven" when discussing Ivy League schools.  If you are trying to describe a haven that is new (as opposed to older more established havens) then you better be sure that the context admits of no misunderstanding.  Otherwise expect that people might think you are talking about the town that Yale is located in.

Message 16 of 45
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello CnC.   If the choice of the word high was deliberate, it was a bad choice.  Note that omitting the word entirely conveys the same meaning: "if a credit report shows a balance close to the card's limit...."  A balance close to the card's limit is certainly one that is high.  But by using the name of a field that appears on the credit report ("high balance") they ended up saying something very different than they (presumably) wanted to convey.

It's a bit like using the phrase "new haven" when discussing Ivy League schools.  If you are trying to describe a haven that is new (as opposed to older more established havens) then you better be sure that the context admits of no misunderstanding.  Otherwise expect that people might think you are talking about the town that Yale is located in.

I completely agree it's a bad choice of words but I'm not sure how many people would read it as the "high balance" field. Most all third party reports merge the two into high balance/ credit limit so it's likely not many will read it to mean the actual "high balance."  MyFico is a bit schizoid and doesn't call it high balance but largest past balance on a single EX credit report but does list the item as "high balance" on the tri-merge reports.

I agree the phrasing needs to be reworded as a lot of folks here are credit geeks and could read it wrongly.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 17 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

As you say, the tri-merge report from myFICO calls it High Balance.

Experian provides this link to a sample report, and it appears to be called High Balance here too:

http://www.experian.com/credit_report_basics/pdf/samplecreditreport.pdf

Message 18 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

As you say, the tri-merge report from myFICO calls it High Balance.

This sample report from Experian also appears to call it High Balance:

http://www.experian.com/credit_report_basics/pdf/samplecreditreport.pdf

Message 19 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

Revelate,

All I am saying is there are a # of posts here (profiles with scores in the 700s) reporting no changes in Fico 8 score when they changed # cards reporting a balance. Sure, the score is affected at some point ... but is it given as much weight as with the Fico 4 model?- From what I have read not as much as with Fico 4 (let's forget about my profile for the moment)

The bolded statement, as I read it, implies Fico 8 adds more weight to utilization % relative to older Fico models. Whether correct or not, that is how I interpret the meaning.

Ultimately, more weight on one factor  generally means less weight on another to equal out.

Smiley Happy

As I stated before, bought some new furniture and put it across 4 cards (20k) and still had 2 reporting a smaller balance.  I let this happen on purpose to see what effect it would have on my score.  NONE.  Now I will work on paying them down but not too much as I want to see what the simulator says also.  Looks like the change, after all is said and done, will have a positive impact on my score.  Fico 8.  Not all of my new cards hit either.  But when they do, they will have a zero balance.  But never a change from one card reporting a balance below 9% to 6 cards reporting 15%. Not all new cc's with large  CL's have reported yet to lower my UT.  

Message 20 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.