Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(re)Bucketed?

tag
toi34
Established Contributor

(re)Bucketed?

What are the signs of having been bucketed or rebucketed? I know what bucketing is, but I don't know what the signs are.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
hot4u
Established Contributor

Re: (re)Bucketed?

I would watch your yearly AAOA. as it rolls over and starts a new year. And alot is your History

Do you have any negatives Dropping off?

Some say example 2 years AAOA can put you in a different bucket. Bottom line wouldn't worry about it since it usually will climb back up soon. Only If applying for Mortage would I spend more time watching.

(Chase)- Freedom, CSP®, United MileagePlus® Explorer, Marriott Rewards® Premier, Penfed cash+ rewards/Promise/Defender.
Amex’s- BCE, Hilton, SPG®, PRG® and Blue®, NFCU Cash Rewards, FHB Destinations World Elite.
- Amex Centurion,(Citi) Executive/Platinum® Advantage

Alaska Airlines
Message 2 of 14
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

If all other indicators remain unchanged, but you see a noticable move in score(s), rebucketing might responsible.

Message 3 of 14
drkaje
Senior Contributor

My experience has been that scores can go up or down depending upon who your scores are being compared to in the same bucket.

My score jumped when the last negative fell off but not drastically.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 14
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Moved to understanding FICO® scoring.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 14
Kratos-TM
Frequent Contributor

What's funny is that we're taught to "garden" our credit to get better scores. But what if you're thrown into a bad bucket when the AAoA switches to a higher number, and your score drops? Now that would be a Catch 22....

Myfico scores.....
EX... 805 (11-10-13)
EQ... 810 (12-02-13)
TU... 810 (12-02-13)
Message 6 of 14
guiness56
Epic Contributor

AAoA isn't a bad bucket.  Bad buckets would be if you have major derogatories on your CR. 

The thing with rebucketing is your score will recover faster than before.

Message 7 of 14
atarvuzdar
Established Contributor

I was rebucketed last year when the age of my credit report (ie. the age of my oldest account being reported) went from 18 years to 19 years. All of a sudden, the positive "You have a long credit history" turned into "You have a short credit history" because compared to all others with a credit report 19 years or older (which is a specific bucket), my credit report was young. I didn't see any negative effect (ie. no drop in score) from the rebucketing due to aging but if I had, I knew that time would've repaired the score drop.

Now, next year when that same oldest account has been closed for 10 years and I'm rebucketed again I may want to cry (next oldest account will be 11 years at that point) but I can't worry about that right now. Smiley LOL

Long story short, what important about rebucketing is the reason for it. If you've been rebucketed because you have a new collection or were 30 days late and previously your report was pristine then you have a problem. If you were rebucketed because a pesky collection or late payment has fallen off your report then that's a whole different ball of wax.

FICO 8: EQ 846 / TU 836 / EX 832
AMEX Platinum / BofA Cash Rewards Visa Sig $99,900 / Chase CSR $43,400 / Citi Double Cash $39,600 / AMEX EveryDay $30,000 / Discover It $26,000 / Gemini $25,000 / JetBlue $25,000 / Chase Freedom Unlimited $22,500
Message 8 of 14
smallfry
Senior Contributor

I check my reports at least once a month. No accounts have dropped and I am reporting the same dollar amounts and number of cards with a balance per month. Been doing this for over 6 years now and am aware of ANY changes to my reports and what effect they would have on my scores. My AAofA has not changed but i have seen my EX go from 816 to 787 and my TU go from 805 to 794. Good scores still but you never want to see lower scores.

Message 9 of 14
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Changes in your credit profile/characteristics will change the bucket you are in. Here are a couple of examples haveing derog information on your credit report to having no no derog information on you report.. Heavy credit utilization to some credit utilization (> 10%) The FICO score has several score cards. Another possible sign is a change in the score reasons shown on your report IE a new one(s).

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash+ 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 C State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Quorum FCU State Department FCU State Department FCU Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.