Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

reduce auto loan interest payment and build credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

reduce auto loan interest payment and build credit

I am new to this credit score world, will appreciate any help from you guys.

Me and my husband just financed our new car. Both of our credit scores are 700+. But we ended up getting a rate of 8.99%. The dealer said that's because we have no installment loan history.

We want to build our installment loan history, so we are able to get a better mortgage rate in the future. But seriously, 8.99 is too high and we actually have enough cash to pay off the loan.

I am thinking to pay large amount of principle now, to bring the loan down to around 2000 or 3000. Then stretch this over the 72 months loan period, so we do not need to pay thousands for interest, while still can maintain a good mix for the score.

How do you think of my idea? Will pay large amount of principle help my credit or harm my credit?

Thank you to you all.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
FrugalRican
Blogger

Re: reduce auto loan interest payment and build credit

Good news: Your car loan IS an installment loan and it will definitely help your "installment" history.

Essentially, problem solved.

The thing I'd do is have steady payments for 6 - 12 months and then look into refinancing your car for a lower rate and maybe a shorter term as well.

Paying on the principal won't do anything towards your score. It would save you a lot of money on the interest though.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for your reply.

I do not expect paying lots of principle now would help my credit, as long as it does not decrease it; that's good enough for me.

Although I just start to learn credit score, I am already freaked out. This thing makes me nervious, cannot stop thinking "will this decrease my score"Smiley Sad

@FrugalRican wrote:

Good news: Your car loan IS an installment loan and it will definitely help your "installment" history.

Essentially, problem solved.

The thing I'd do is have steady payments for 6 - 12 months and then look into refinancing your car for a lower rate and maybe a shorter term as well.

Paying on the principal won't do anything towards your score. It would save you a lot of money on the interest though.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only caveat around the plan is that some auto loans might have a pre-payment penalty, or are set up to where they basically just apply the additional payment as credit towards a future payment (i.e. no interest benefit). I understand this is rare these days, but it wouldn't hurt to check your paperwork.

The other question to consider is if you have any open revolving debt right now, which typically charge a higher rate and have a higher impact on your score. And, with a mortgage comming up, it's definitely worth considering hanging onto some cash towards down payment.

And obviously, don't pay late, but I think Frugal covered that base Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 9
marty56
Super Contributor

I would also check a local CU.  If you qualify for membership, CUs are the way to go. 

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 5 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

There's one more caveat: it depends on how the lender records the additional payment.

Absolutely don't specify when you make the payment that you want it applied to the principal... you won't lose much by letting it burn off whatever accrued interest is there and then let the rest be applied to principal (since on any simple interest installment loan, which virtually every auto loan I know of is, you're zeroing out the interest every month anyway).

Here's the catch though: some lenders will push your next due date out, and some won't.  What I would suggest is simply doubling up on your first payment, say that's in June.  If you just made the regular installment payment, your next due date would be in July; however, where it gets interesting is if your lender pushes the next due date now out to August (mine does), in which case go nuts and you can pretty easily get a 3-4 year installment tradeline for very little in interest payments.  Just be aware it won't be the full term because you're going to wind up way ahead on the amortization schedule... really getting a max term loan if pursuing this strategy would've been ideal rather than the standard 5 years.

Alternatively if your lender doesn't adjust the payment date, just pay some extra on it for the first six months and then go refinance somewhere else.  That'll mostly or completely negate the first-time buyer problem you ran into... which incidently I suffered too though my own credit profile is nowhere close to as good as yours.   Not too much though, there's some breakpoints with lenders on how little they're willing to finance which I think are mostly around the 12K mark, and that would be annoying to run into.  I would strongly encourage you to reseach that with whoever your lenders of choice happen to be on your refinance plan if taking that route.

To also work on that installment loan penalty, consider tossing $2500 in a CD at USAA or some other lender and then taking out a 100% LTV loan secured against the CD as collateral.  A bunch of lenders will do this, but I suggest USAA as they offer it at a 2% effective APR which is well worth it if you're missing installment loans, and it's about the cheapest possible to finance if you have cash laying around which it sounds that you do.

        
Message 6 of 9
kjm79
Valued Contributor

Not sure who your lender is, but when I had an auto loan opened in Aug 2010, shortly thereafter I had a significant chunk of money to throw at the loan.  When I did, WF sent me a letter saying I couldn't pay more than 5 months ahead on the loan.  They didn't send any money back.  I kept making my monthly payments and the loan was paid off by Dec 2010 (originally a 36 month loan).  There's a remark on that account that says "early termination of loan/paid as agreed".  It's a positive account in every aspect so I'm not sure what that remark does to the account. 

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 7 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@kjm79 wrote:

Not sure who your lender is, but when I had an auto loan opened in Aug 2010, shortly thereafter I had a significant chunk of money to throw at the loan.  When I did, WF sent me a letter saying I couldn't pay more than 5 months ahead on the loan.  They didn't send any money back.  I kept making my monthly payments and the loan was paid off by Dec 2010 (originally a 36 month loan).  There's a remark on that account that says "early termination of loan/paid as agreed".  It's a positive account in every aspect so I'm not sure what that remark does to the account. 

That date with WF has been pushed at at least, mine was 8 months ahead back in March.

        
Message 8 of 9
kjm79
Valued Contributor

I was 2+ years ahead actually.  The WF letter just said I couldn't pay more than 5 months in advance.  Well I did.  Paid off a 36 month loan in approx. 4 months. 

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.