cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

reducing number of accounts with balance by consolidating (thus increasing util on single card)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

reducing number of accounts with balance by consolidating (thus increasing util on single card)

I wonder if my score will increase if I consolidate two accounts onto one that already has a small balance now. (both of these accounts are at about 25% utilization). It will decrease my number of acounts with balances from 4 to 2 (assume 9 total credit acounts), but it will increase my utilization on the card i am consolidating to  to about 65%.

Total utilization is about 25%, FICO (from discover) is about 750.

I'm sure many will say "Why bother", but I've been on a long and very hard road with this score, and I want to keep doing positive things.

(There would also be a slight monetary gain by this consolidation)

Thanks.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: reducing number of accounts with balance by consolidating (thus increasing util on single card)

From discussions years ago by Fair Isaac in webinars they formerly conducted on FICO scoring issues, they stated that in scoring of revolving utilization, the three primary factors, in decreasing weightiing, are overall % util of all accounts, the % util of each individ account, and the percent of revolving accounts reporting a balance.

They dont provide real weightings of those factors, as that is too detailed for preservation of their trade secret, but one could conclude that increasing individ card % util (which has more impact at higher % utils than at lower % utils)  would offset any gain by having another account at zero balance. 

I doubt it would provide any score increase, and may in fact produce a decrease.

It is at the level of fine-tweaking that would require more knowledge of the FICO algorithm that Fair Isaac has released.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.