Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

removing account from report?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

removing account from report?

I have found a wealth of info on here that has been helpful.  I have just sent out some goodwill letters for some old lates, and have 1 more written that i was wondering if i should sent it out.  I have an old aspire visa account(i know... they suck...) and was wondering if i should ask if they would be willing to remove it completely from my report (not sure if they would anyways, but worth asking).

The account has been closed and paid off for 4 years, but i was not sure if removing it completely would hurt me more than help.  I had a 60day late in jan 2002, and 5 30 days in the last 7 years on the account.   Since it is not active, it wouldnt increase my length of open accounts, but would there be anything else that would hurt me if this disappeared?  At the least, i would want them to remove lates, but there are a number of them to remove, and i dont know that they would be willing to go thru that work for a closed account.  Would removing these have enough of a positive impact to worry about?

I am trying to use the potential of me reopening an account(which i wouldnt do, but they dont need to know that) with them as leverage to clean this off my record.

thanks to all the pros in advance

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
hdporter
Regular Contributor

Re: removing account from report?

Exactly what counts in the evaluation of your account age is a gray area. There is a considerable amount of anecdotal evidence that points to closed accounts as being factored in your credit score when it comes to account age. I have an account from when I was just out of college that was closed 4 years ago. The next newer account on my report was opened 5 years later. However, my myFICO scoring analysis remarks on the length of my credit history with a number of years that correspond to this first, closed account. It's apparent to me that so long as this report appears on my report (10 years for date of last activity), it will continue to make a positive contribution to my score. If this is a relatively young account vs. others reporting on your report, then it's likely to your advantage to seek removal. Otherwise, I might reconsider. I just little over than a year, nothing more adverse than 30 day delinquencies will remain on your tradeline. And I presume that it's likely those will clear in the next couple of years. This is the route I chose with my old account -- and I had over a dozen late payments on records. I'm down to 3 30-days that will clear next year and the tradeline will be intact for another 5 years.

Message 2 of 3
scramblingin2007
Established Contributor

Re: removing account from report?

You can't have closed accounts "deleted" they stay with you for 10 long years
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.