Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

reported util question

tag
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

reported util question

This is something that goes back and forth with some of us here and i just want to be clear for my understanding and the newcomers and for those who dont know. my case for example, i pay in full my balances every month and dont really care about the reported balance so between 4 cc's my available credit is only 2,000 so for the past 10 mos since i started building credit i guess you could say the reported util would be high but i do PIF those balances. Now last month and this month too im trying to maximize my scores and seeing what fits me best cause i plan to do some apping in nov. Last month I let 9% util report this month ill shoot for around 7-8%.  So I guess my question would be is it ok what im doing cause lately members are suggesting to others to make sure your reported util is under 10% every month and I dont feel that is necessary unless you want max fico scoring for that month and or plan to app to make yourself look the best.

Thoughts? Suggestions are welcome!

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: reported util question

@rootpooty wrote:

This is something that goes back and forth with some of us here and i just want to be clear for my understanding and the newcomers and for those who dont know. my case for example, i pay in full my balances every month and dont really care about the reported balance so between 4 cc's my available credit is only 2,000 so for the past 10 mos since i started building credit i guess you could say the reported util would be high but i do PIF those balances. Now last month and this month too im trying to maximize my scores and seeing what fits me best cause i plan to do some apping in nov. Last month I let 9% util report this month ill shoot for around 7-8%.  So I guess my question would be is it ok what im doing cause lately members are suggesting to others to make sure your reported util is under 10% every month and I dont feel that is necessary unless you want max fico scoring for that month and or plan to app to make yourself look the best.

Thoughts? Suggestions are welcome!

FIco scores and credit scores are point in time,  get UTL in control (on reports) before you AP and that is all that counts for UTL,  the month before you could be at 50% UTL it doesn't matter just what is currently reporting. The way to get the best score is pay all cards to 0, and allow one card to report less than 9%. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 2 of 5
LOC
Contributor

Good direction. thank you

Starting Score: 565
Current Score: 696
Goal Score: 850

Message 3 of 5
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

Ditto for your Fico score. It is not really needed until you need new credit or an installment loan. However, it is best to keep it well oiled as those surprise needs popup!

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 4 of 5
Quips
Regular Contributor

I agree that as long as you are not planning on applying for any new credit, then I would make sure I PIF (to avoid interest) and let the scores fall where they may. If you are planing on applying for credit, then keeping your total util under 10% and not having too many cards report balances will help maximize your FICO scores. I manage my credit the same way - PIF the statement balance by the due date - recently I worked to maximize my scores as i just finished refinancing my house so I was a little more diligent in making sure many of my cards reported a 0 balance and my Util was in the 7-8% range.

FICO: EQ 769, TU 762 , EX ???

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.