Established Member
mloupagu

revolving credit vs installment loan effect on FICO

[ Edited ]
I know that revolving credit debt (credit card) debt has a significant affect on your FICO score. Does installment loan debt (car loan) have as much as an affect?

Message Edited by mloupagu on 06-11-2007 08:11 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Tuscani

Re: revolving credit vs installment loan effect on FICO

No.. Revolving is WAY more important.
Established Member
mloupagu

More important how? Bad or good? I just paid off most of my revolving credit (credit cards) and now only have a couple of loan payments (a car and a boat) plus a mortgage. I am thinking of trading in my car for a newer one which will increase the amount of the installment debt, will that lower my FICO significantly?
Moderator Emeritus
Tuscani

mloupagu wrote:
More important how? Bad or good? I just paid off most of my revolving credit (credit cards) and now only have a couple of loan payments (a car and a boat) plus a mortgage. I am thinking of trading in my car for a newer one which will increase the amount of the installment debt, will that lower my FICO significantly?

More important in the fact that balance owed on revolving accounts is more heavily weighted when determining a score. Trading in your car for a new one won't have much if an impact on your scores.. If anything, it will lower them in the short term as you are opening a new TL and closing another.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+