Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

revolving credit vs installment loan effect on FICO

tag
mloupagu
Established Member

revolving credit vs installment loan effect on FICO

I know that revolving credit debt (credit card) debt has a significant affect on your FICO score. Does installment loan debt (car loan) have as much as an affect?

Message Edited by mloupagu on 06-11-2007 08:11 AM
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: revolving credit vs installment loan effect on FICO

No.. Revolving is WAY more important.
Message 2 of 4
mloupagu
Established Member

More important how? Bad or good? I just paid off most of my revolving credit (credit cards) and now only have a couple of loan payments (a car and a boat) plus a mortgage. I am thinking of trading in my car for a newer one which will increase the amount of the installment debt, will that lower my FICO significantly?
Message 3 of 4
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

mloupagu wrote:
More important how? Bad or good? I just paid off most of my revolving credit (credit cards) and now only have a couple of loan payments (a car and a boat) plus a mortgage. I am thinking of trading in my car for a newer one which will increase the amount of the installment debt, will that lower my FICO significantly?

More important in the fact that balance owed on revolving accounts is more heavily weighted when determining a score. Trading in your car for a new one won't have much if an impact on your scores.. If anything, it will lower them in the short term as you are opening a new TL and closing another.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.