Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

score drop or could this balance out?

tag
JcT21
Frequent Contributor

score drop or could this balance out?

i had a moment of weakness and took 2 offers.  cap1 and discover miles.  will adding 2 cards hurt my score or will the combined limit of both cards (13,000) raise my score by lowering my current 14% overall utilization?  average age of accounts is at 2.5yrs.   im hoping the drop from the inq's and adding of new accounts might be offset by the utilization change.  now im kinda worried im gonna take a huge score drop.

thanks for your input :-)

fico scores - March 2024:
TU - 727 | EX - 732 | EQ - 736 |
TCL - 168K - UTIL - less than 1%
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
elim
Senior Contributor

Re: score drop or could this balance out?

You'll find out in about a month.  When i guess my scores outcomes I am always bass ackwards.

Message 2 of 6
NRB525
Super Contributor

@JcT21 wrote:

i had a moment of weakness and took 2 offers.  cap1 and discover miles.  will adding 2 cards hurt my score or will the combined limit of both cards (13,000) raise my score by lowering my current 14% overall utilization?  average age of accounts is at 2.5yrs.   im hoping the drop from the inq's and adding of new accounts might be offset by the utilization change.  now im kinda worried im gonna take a huge score drop.

Doubtful. It likely will be some points, but not many points and by that I would expect something 10 or less. If this is your first INQ in 24 months, it might be more likely to happen, still likely smallish points.

It is also possible you won't see much score change at all.

Please report back when the "damage" is done Smiley Happy

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since you are interested in a guess as to what will happen, why don't you perform two calculations tonight (based on the two new accounts):

*  Your new AAoA

*  Your new total utilization

You are right that those are the two factors at play (plus inquiries).  Do the math, then get back to us and tell us what it shows.  Even better, do the math, tell us how much each factor has changed, and then give us your guess as to what the change might mean.  That will help you learn how to assess choices you make calmly and panic less.

Message 4 of 6
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@JcT21 wrote:

They will balance each other out.... Whether the downward pressure and upward pressure will be equal is impossible to predict, but I don't expect a "huge score drop".

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 5 of 6
Aahz
Established Contributor

@JcT21 wrote:

So, assuming your signature is accurate and you're at 14% utilization ($12,054 on $86,100 in credit), then your utilization will only go down to 12% (technically 12.2%).  That's not going to give you a utilization bump.

Sorry, but you're definetly looking at a drop from the two new accounts.  But, as others said it won't be a "huge" drop.

Paying off $3,135 of that debt will bring your utility down to 9%, though and that should give you a bump.

The good news is that since you characterize this as "a moment of weakness" it seems you don't plan on using your scores anytime soon. And, of course, they'll rebound - hopefully before you need them again.

ETA: Also, they shouldn't drop your AAoA below two years, so no loss there - just longer until you receive a score boost from AAoA.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.