Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

score dropped 21 points due to high credit utilization

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

score dropped 21 points due to high credit utilization

Hello,

So i have two credit cards, 2 thousand limit for one and 1000 for the other. My score just dropped 21 points because i'm at 34 percent for use for both. I'm new to this and am just wondering why utilization would impact my score? and how long does it take to bounce back from it when my use percetage is lower? i was on a roll as far as my score going up.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: score dropped 21 points due to high credit utilization

It'll go back up as soon as the statements report a lower util. There is no memory.

For best results pay all cards to $0 except one before the statements cut. For the one reporting a balance, keep it under 10%.

Message 2 of 10
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

So i have two credit cards, 2 thousand limit for one and 1000 for the other. My score just dropped 21 points because i'm at 34 percent for use for both. I'm new to this and am just wondering why utilization would impact my score? and how long does it take to bounce back from it when my use percetage is lower? i was on a roll as far as my score going up.

Which two cards are those? What are your FICO scores now?

While you do want to watch your FICO scores, it appears you are building a credit file. That means for the time being your focus should be on having a good relationship with these two CCC. The utilization is usage of the card. That isn't bad when you are trying to show the CCC you can borrow and pay back that money. The FICO score hit is temporary. At these limits, it is unavoidable, and so one strategy to use is to look for credit line increases. Depending on the cards you have, there are specific techniques you can use to get CLI, so your spend rate doesn't have such high utilization. Searching or asking on these forums will help you find out what those techniques are.

In the long run, it will work out fine.

Good luck!

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 10
doc101
Regular Contributor

keep utilization low and try to make payments before the statement dates . I learned that from others here and it definitely helped my scores increase. Heavy revolving credit usage can hurt your score as well as help it so only use cards for small purchases so you can pay the balance quickly. Good luck

Starting Score:Equifax 543
Current Score:EQ659 TU 716 EXP677 updated 7/3/2016
Goal Score: 700

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice.My credit karma score is 643, it was 664 before the drop. The 1000 card is with Wells Fargo, platinum card. and the other one is Capital One platinum. I started with a 610 score just a few months back. I just got these cards like 3 months ago so it might be too early to ask for an increase but i'll try. 

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you!

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry about your score. FYI, credit karma is a fako not a fico score. All top lenders you some variance of fico scoring. If you haven't already, I would look into what my fico scores are. Good luck!

Message 7 of 10
Lemmus
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

...others here have pointed out the bare bones utilization issues ...you posted this in the FICO Scoring forum ...you might find more information in the Credit Card forum ...hth

Helpful Links: Do I Qualify? | Mortgage Calculator | USDA Mortgages | Opt Out | FICO Versions
Last HP: 11/04/15 | myFico 3B Jun 10 '15:FICO8 EQ - 752 | TU - 763 | EX - 750
Message 8 of 10
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

Utilization is a huge part of the scoring formula. Read this for additional info: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Frequently-Requested-Threads/td-p/19320

Ignore the Credit Karma score - it isn't FICO. It is a lot more volatile too.

Message 9 of 10
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the advice.My credit karma score is 643, it was 664 before the drop. The 1000 card is with Wells Fargo, platinum card. and the other one is Capital One platinum. I started with a 610 score just a few months back. I just got these cards like 3 months ago so it might be too early to ask for an increase but i'll try. 

So, you have two new cards with good limits for your first cards. Others are working with $200 or $500 limits, so you are ahead of the game.

You've got the cards at ~$300 on the $1k limit card and ~$600 on the $2k limit card? That's fine. Are you able to PIF the amount on the statement each month? You should work on paying them down now, in other words high percentages of the amount outstanding on each statement, if not PIF, then you can charge new purchases like groceries and gas, then pay again, and I think that will help your relations with these CCC. My suggestion is the same; go ahead and charge up to those amounts, about 30%, and keep paying it down and you are likely to get CLI before too long.

The utilization is a part of your score, but early on, where you are now, the effect of short history and these being new cards is going to make your score extremely volatile. I suggest ignoring the FICO score for at least 6 months while you work on showing good payment patterns on these cards. As the cards age, you get CLI with these cards, keep the utilization at 30% or so and paying the amounts so you aren't just making minimum payments. WF and CapOne will be happy that you aren't out apping everything in sight, and paying attention to these two cards for a while.

Good luck!

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.