Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

score dropped 29pts for using 3% of credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: score dropped 29pts for using 3% of credit

card 3 had 0 balance at the time im starting to think i shoud never use the cards again if they hurt my credit  my score droped an other 18 pts for using 181.00 on my card with 5000.00 limit and all balances on other cards paid off . this is proof every time i use a card my score goes down using only 3%  

Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

i have no derogs credit is clean

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did pay off a loan a cd loan a week ago

Message 13 of 19
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

PS.  It sounds like you have paid off a loan recently.  Can you tell us when you did that?

^^^this is a critical point. If you paid off an installment loan recently it is very possible you lost those points to paying off the installment loan. I know I lost about 60 points across all three CRAs when I paid off my only open installment loan. Its very possible that you lost points to the payoff of the loan and not the $170

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

why is that

Message 15 of 19
elim
Senior Contributor

@StartingOver10 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

PS.  It sounds like you have paid off a loan recently.  Can you tell us when you did that?

^^^this is a critical point. If you paid off an installment loan recently it is very possible you lost those points to paying off the installment loan. I know I lost about 60 points across all three CRAs when I paid off my only open installment loan. Its very possible that you lost points to the payoff of the loan and not the $170

+1    For some reason Fico scores don't like us to pay off a loan...

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?advanced=false&allow_punctuation=false&q=score+drop+after+paying+off+loan

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

kellyland123, your score definitely dropped due to paying off that installment loan if it was your only open loan.  When it comes to "credit mix" FICO enjoys seeing an open installment loan.  There's a simple work-around known as the share secure loan technique which can get you back those ~30 points very quickly.  If you're interested in it, let us know and we can provide you with additional information.

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

yes pleas tell me what to do to get back my 30 points

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Was this your only installment loan?  If so, this is what BBS had in mind.  You only need to read the first three posts:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Adding-an-installment-loan-the-Share-Secu...

Be sure to read through it slowly, though.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.