cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

score drops 12 points because a card shows a new balance of EIGHT dollars?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

score drops 12 points because a card shows a new balance of EIGHT dollars?

so my score dropped today because a new card showed a balance of 8 dollars. I use that card as a backup for purchases and usually pay it in full before they report any balance. This time I forgot about the 8 dollars and the balance got reported. The associated message is that the score dropped 12 points because I am showing a significant balance increase?? Of EIGHT dollars?

it's amazing how banks can take so seriously a score that is so flawed.

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
GregB
Valued Contributor

Re: score drops 12 points because a card shows a new balance of EIGHT dollars?

There is a big change from $0 to any balance. You have now broken the pattern of showing a zero balance and it is reasonable that you are now a slightly higher credit risk. That slightly higher risk is shown by your slightly lower score of 12 points. 12 points is a pretty small change. 

You could also look at this as you were previously being rewarded for keeping track of your score so obsessively that you were paying the CC before the statement closed.

Message 2 of 21
BrandonSS
Frequent Contributor

uh, from what is preached on here, it is good to carry a 1-9% balance?  so this information that is said in nearly every CC thread is wrong?

3/2010 - EX 555 (FAKO) EQ 542 TU 548
GOAL: 680+
Goal exceeded! - EQ - 712 TU - 701
2/2015 - 750+ across the board!
Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear Valued Contributor,

Thank you very much for calling my pattern of paying cards before statement closing "obsessive". I really appreciate that, it makes my day!

Obvioulsy, you, FairIsaac, and I have different understanding of what "risk" means. This is not 20 years or longer ago when we trully borrowed money on credit cards. this is a new world, in which we dont carry cash, we just settle a bunch of transactions in bulk, once every so often. Even a 100 dollar balance on a 19k line of credit should be fine as long as the total balance owed is less than 20% of total borrowing limit across all cards, there are no delinquencies, etc. Secondly, not only spending habits have changed, so has computing power. FairIsaac has room to make more granular scoring decisions.

I work in a software company. When people give us suggestions for improved usability and functionality, we dont call them "obsessive", we just say "thank you, we'll look into it."

Message 4 of 21
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@BrandonSS wrote:

uh, from what is preached on here, it is good to carry a 1-9% balance?  so this information that is said in nearly every CC thread is wrong?

Not on every CC. Just one.

Message 5 of 21
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Dear Valued Contributor,

Thank you very much for calling my pattern of paying cards before statement closing "obsessive". I really appreciate that, it makes my day!

Obvioulsy, you, FairIsaac, and I have different understanding of what "risk" means. This is not 20 years or longer ago when we trully borrowed money on credit cards. this is a new world, in which we dont carry cash, we just settle a bunch of transactions in bulk, once every so often. Even a 100 dollar balance on a 19k line of credit should be fine as long as the total balance owed is less than 20% of total borrowing limit across all cards, there are no delinquencies, etc. Secondly, not only spending habits have changed, so has computing power. FairIsaac has room to make more granular scoring decisions.

I work in a software company. When people give us suggestions for improved usability and functionality, we dont call them "obsessive", we just say "thank you, we'll look into it."

GregB didn't mean it that way. He wasn't calling you obsessive. He was likely pointing out that you were being careful in making sure your $0 balances had remained at $0. I don't think he works for FICO, as none of us don't. We came on here like you trying to figure out why this score changed to this or that or how to make things better per our credit, and because we helped others, we are paying it forward. Keeping $0 balances is impressive and I bet your FICO scores reflected that.

The 20% figure you mentioned is a myth. As pointed out, going from $0 to $whatever can impact your score in a negative way. Your utilization is great, but FICO likes to see $0 balances. Ideally you want your revolving accounts to all report $0, with the exception of one. That one should report a balance of 1% to 9% of the CL. Case in point, I paid my util down from 10% to 7%, IIRC, and saw a large gain. 20% util is great, but it can be better.

Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi llecs,

if my recollection serves me well and from previous posts I know some of the contributors work for FairIsaac. Nothing wrong with that. I myself contribute posts on community boards supporting the product I work on.

Sure, zero balance is best. However, if the point of the score is to assess risk to lenders, an eight dollar balance by itself should not cause 12 points worth of concern. 2-3 points should suffice :-)  And it *is* ironic that the people with highest scores need lending power least.

We are advised to use credit cards when shopping for a couple of reasons:

1. If someone is to steal your card number, you are better off if that card is a credit card than if it is the card linked to your bank account;

2. disputes with merchants are better handled on credit cards than on bank account cards.

Message 7 of 21
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi llecs,

if my recollection serves me well and from previous posts I know some of the contributors work for FairIsaac. Nothing wrong with that. I myself contribute posts on community boards supporting the product I work on.

Sure, zero balance is best. However, if the point of the score is to assess risk to lenders, an eight dollar balance by itself should not cause 12 points worth of concern. 2-3 points should suffice :-)  And it *is* ironic that the people with highest scores need lending power least.

1. If someone is to steal your card number, you are better off if that card is a credit card than if it is the card linked to your bank account;

2. disputes with merchants are better handled on credit cards than on bank account cards.

I could be wrong but as far as I know only the administrators work for FICO. Everyone else is strictly volunteer.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802
EQ - 7/06-663, 3/10-800
TU - 8/10-772
You can do the same thing with hard work

Message 8 of 21
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi llecs,

There are no paid actors or posters on here. If that's so, then I'm missing my check. Smiley Sad   There is an admin on here who works directly for FICO, but he runs the board and it is seldom he posts in here.

What's the definition of "risk"? Your definition will be different from mine, others, lenders, and so on. It's a relative term. I do know that FICO creates the score for their main clients, the lenders. It's safe to say they have clout on how the FICO score is formulated because it is their money that's at risk when they lend money to borrowers. I bet it is their definition of risk that's at play. If you go from $0 to $whatever, in the eyes of a lender, then you are placing more of a reliance on credit and aren't paying down the balances immediately. Now $8 is silly, IMO, but a lender might see the added balance as a risk because there are less PIF accounts.

Thankfully, CC utilization is a snapshot in time of what your balances look like in relation to the CL. If you paid off the $8 balance today, and it reported that next, with all else being equal, then your score will go back to exactly where it was before. There's no lingering effects. Likewise, if I maxed out all of my CCs today and they report that next month, my scores will drop 70-100 points easy. If I paid off all that debt, by scores will go back to where they were before (assuming nothing fell off, no added inquiries, no lates, no missing anything, etc.).

With regards to using CCs, I'm with you, they are better than a debit card. I recently was a victim of ID theft with a BofA CC. BofA covered it immediately and I only lost the use of that card for a few days while they shipped a replacement. With debit, you can't always do that. At the same time of my event, someone else here in town went through the same exact thing, but she used a CU debit card. The CU took the money and it took her a couple of weeks to get it back. Yes, disputes with merchants are better too. A bank or CU won't always help at the same level as a CC. To add to your list at #3, you can't use a debit card everywhere or if you can, there are limitations (e.g. car rental, some hotels, etc.). The key to managing balances is to know when the CC reports next. You can max out your cards monthly, but if you PIF before they report the balance (usually based on your statement and statement date), then your score will be OK.

Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

:-) Truth be told, we are not paid to contribute to community boards. We just like or feel a duty to help people out when they do not understand how to use the software, or when, unfortunately, there are real issues.

Anyway, I have been watching the score carefully, mostly to understand how it works and use that to my advantage when I need to buy a car, refinance, etc. It seems to take longer for the score to regain the 12 points (all other things being equal) than just getting that card back to zero balance. I will keep an eye on that and report back my findings, whether I am correct or incorrect.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.