Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

score question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

score question

I'm just wondering if aging of accounts could warrant an 11 point increase? my EQ score went up 11 and after going over them with a fine tooth comb, nothing has changed except the Name and date of the month. Not complaining here just curious.Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: score question

Could be any one of a number of factors, or all of them, which simply happen as Time Goes By without your doing anything:

- you increased the total age of your credit history
- you increased the average age of your accounts
- your baddies aged another month
etc.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Masdeocho, that is what i was thinking. But if thats true then why no increase on TU or EX?.
They stayed the same.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're very welcome.

Perhaps next month you'll see an increase in the others.  But don't be too upset if you don't.

There are a host of other factors at work here.  Do you know about the "bucket" factor?  Everyone is not considered equally for score calculation.  We are all in "buckets" - for example (I'm making this up, I don't know the exact parameters), there's one with people who filed BK within the past 5 years; there's one with people with 3 or more chargeoffs in the past 3 years; etc, etc.

Sometimes when you're sure your score should be improving, it goes down instead.  This is because you went from the top of the heap of people in your bucket, graduated into a higher bucket, and now your credit is not as good in relation to those people in your new bucket.  Does this make any sense??  Again, time heals credit wounds. Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Now the Light comes on, I must of jumped "buckets" cause i've had couple deletions, paid collection Utilization came down etc. within last couple weeks.  It makes alot of sense now, I was getting pretty frustrated but now i can relax and keep on with taking care of other credit issues. Thank you for that insightful info. I didn't know we were in BUCKETS lol.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is some official word for it instead of "buckets" but I can't remember what it is.  Probably something obvious like "groups" or "categories."

I think people get too freaked out by obsessing daily about their scores.  As you say, keep util down, pay on time, dispute where appropriate, etc.  It will improve! Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Seems like an official term if there was one, although I've always found this just lengthily described and not with just one term. Although the generally common analogy is big/small fish in a big/small pond rather than buckets, but both work.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Only way to know for sure is to pull your Score Report from before and after. Usually just a simple change in TOP 3 reasons POS and NEG are enough to change scores.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The "Buckets" you are referring to are commonly called Scorecards... This is an important factor to the overall FICO scores we carry. Interesting there is not so much info on these boards.

Knowledge is Power.

Take Care.

Rob
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.