cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

should I delete old positive consumer finance accounts?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

should I delete old positive consumer finance accounts?

My EQ is way higher than my EX and TU and I'm trying to understand why.   American General is reporting a ton of old accounts that were basically re-fied into one another from about 2000 to 2004.   I'm wondering if this could be a problem and if I should call them and ask them to delete some of them?   Nothing on my report says anything about too many CFA accounts.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: should I delete old positive consumer finance accounts?

On your reports, are these accounts listed as American General or American General Finance? Which reports have all of these accounts?

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

They are listed as 'American General Fin'  It is Experian and TU that have a whole bunch of them and my scores are lower on TU for sure than EQ which only has 2.   I just counted 6 of these that are closed on TU.  The history on these is perfect but I've been reading that too many of these can hurt.  I'd hate to have them delete them and find out my score drops.

Message 3 of 8
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Are we talking about your FICO scores? Or, did you get your scores from somewhere else?

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

TU and EQ pulled from this site.  TU has the excess American General accounts and the score is about 40 points lower.  Not positive the AG accounts are the culprit but I'm wondering if they are a factor.

Message 5 of 8
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Aside from these AG accounts, are there any other differences between your TU and EQ reports?  Credit history length, average age of all of your accounts (including charge-offs, if any. Do not include collections, if any), inqs, open and closed dates on accounts, status comments, late payments, CC balances. Look closely!!!!!!!!!!!! I know you can lose some points for CFL accounts, but I have never heard of losing 40 points for having them.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

TU and EX have 2 collections that EQ does not so that could also explain the differences.  I'm working 24/7 trying to PFD those.

Message 7 of 8
fused
Moderator Emeritus

How old are these collections? Drop off dates? Also, since FICO has not mentioned anything negative about all of your CFL accounts, I bet these two collections are the reason for 40 point difference in your FICO EQ and TU scores.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.